New here just a few ?????

Laura H.
on 1/26/04 10:44 am - Belford, NJ
Hi I'm laura and I'm just about to start my gastric bypass journey....... I have my new patient orientation on Feb.4 th. I will be hopefully having my surgery with Atlantic Surgical group ( Dr. Romanelli ) Over at Jersey Shore Medical center. Anyone have there surgery with him ????? I was hopeing someone could tell me what the pre opt. tests are ?????? I know about the psy. evaulation but what other tests are there and about how long does it take to complete them all ??? They told me it would take about 1 to 2 months just to get a appt. for the surgeon. Any advice would be welcome !!! Also any questions I should ask at the orientation ??? Thanks Laura
Georgette C.
on 1/27/04 7:10 am - Princeton Junction, NJ
Laura, I'm not familar with the Dr. but I do want to wish you GOOD LUCK. The time will go faster than you think. Georgette
Laura H.
on 1/27/04 9:13 am - Belford, NJ
Thanks Georgette !!!!
Denise W.
on 1/29/04 5:19 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Hey Laura, I wish you luck as your journey begins. There are very specific questions you should ask in orientation, or of the surgeon himself when you meet him, especially if you have no referrals for him. When I met with my surgeon, I asked the following questions: 1 - How many gastric bypass procedures have you done? 2 - How were you trained in this procedure - did you just decide to start doing them, or did you have formal RNY or Lap RNY training? 3 - I understand the complications that can occur with RNY, what specific complications have your patients had? (If he says leakage, ask how many - if it's a high number - look for someone else!) 4 - Have you had any patients die either from the surgery, or from complications of the surgery? If so, how many? These are VERY important questions to ask. You're considering a very serious operation, where things can go wrong. You want to assure yourself that you've chosen the best possible person for the job. I watched my surgeon very closely as I "interviewed" him. He was open and honest and did not act defensive or annoyed by any of my questions. Again, this person will have your life in your hands, make sure you're comfortable with him. If you need to talk, please feel free to e-mail me and I'll give you my phone number. Good luck! Denise
Most Active
Recent Topics