RNY over AGB Why???

Mary R.
on 1/14/04 7:23 am - Easton, PA
I am so confused. I understand the difference between the 3 procedures, but I don't understand why most of the patients have had the RNY or VGB when AGB seems so much better. Less recovery time, less evasive, reversible, adjustable, etc. What made any of you decide on what procedure to get? Maybe I don't know something that I should as to why so few people have chosen AGB. I understand it is a fairly new procedure, but it just seems like the way to go. Love some feedback. Thanks!
jersey girl
on 1/14/04 8:05 am - MONMOUTH COUNTY, NJ
When I realized I could not take control of my life after many failed diets, I still did not want a bypass. I thought it was too drastic, too permanent a thing to do to my body for the rest of my life. Then I heard of AGB, and thought it was the solution I needed. After decided at first to get AGB to help me, I started to do serious research and realized I would still need to take control of my eating. Something I had not been able to for at least 15-18 years. I met my surgeon who performs all WLS procedures and told him I was thinking of the AGB but was unsure. He then asked me what kind of food I ate when I snacked. When I mentioned carbs of all kinds, and how a bag of chips just seemed to find their way to me, he said that RNY was the way to go. If I wanted to succeed at this RNY would give me my best chance. Carbs start to digest in the mouth, and chew up into nice small pieces and can be easily flushed thru the AGB opening. He said that I could still finish off a bag of chips while drinking coka cola, and my body would metabolize and adsorb all the calories just like before. Since I knew that those bags of chips were my downfall, it became a choice of doing the gastric bypass or not doing anything. So here I am, down close to 70 lbs and loving it. If I were to cheat, I now have the safeguard of malabsorption. JG
Linda 1.
on 1/15/04 10:04 pm - Northern, NJ
I chose the RNY because I wanted a procedure with a malabsorbtion componenet as well as restriction. Many insurance companies will not pay for the AGB at this time, that also influences many peoples decisions. Look at what the different WLS procedures do and decide that way.....do you want portion restriction only, (AGB) restriction and malabsorbtion (RNY) and in what proportion...greater malabsorbtion with less restriction? (DS) There are some helpful books and articles out there, keep reading. My research also showed a higher rate of regain with the AGB as well as a weight loss of about 50% of the excess, not enough for me at 185 pounds overweight!!
Most Active
Recent Topics