Hair falling out in bushels!

Alice O.
on 12/9/03 5:56 am
Any tips for someone with not much hair left? My hair started to thin out mid-October. My surgery was 8/12 and I've lost almost 80 lb. so far. I'm trying to get the 60 grams of protein in daily, along with extra zinc and calcium and regular daily vitamins. I usually eat very few carbs and stick to straight protein but it's really distressing. I joined a gym, walk outdoors on the weekends, do circuit training and weight training. Any tips, comments, advice etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Alice
Jersey917
on 12/9/03 8:16 am - Saddle Brook, NJ
Hi Alice: While I am not experiencing the hair loss, YET, I am sure I will be within another month or 2 myself... Therefore, I can't answer your question from personal experience... However, if you post to the main group I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses... I know this topic has been brought up a few times in the past... From what I remember, it seems it is quite normal for the hair to fall out in 40% of people... They also discussed various ways of dealing with it, but it seems nothing really helps... It seems it's something you need to wait and ride out... They wrote it stops within a few months of starting and in time, it will all grow back... I'm sorry I have no further info... You really should write the main board, many are post-op much longer and have been through this all before... In the meantime, GOOD LUCK and don't forget, the hair grows back!!! ... Take care, happy holidays... Cathy
AOT1 B.
on 12/9/03 10:28 am
Thanks Cathy-hope you are feeling well and doing good. Happy Holidays to you also. Alice
Irene S.
on 12/9/03 1:16 pm - NJ
I'm pretty sure that most hair loss begins about 3 months from the initial trauma and lasts till about 6 months, and then all grows back. I had diet induced hair loss on 2 different occasions, 13 years apart. Both times it all grew back. I know a few post-ops that use flamboyant hairpieces or wigs and treat it like "hair jewelry". So, what's your hair fantasy? Long? short? Blonde? redhead? irene
lorien
on 12/9/03 9:10 pm - morris county, nj
Well hello there Wayne NJ! I'm a neighbor, Lincoln Park. I'm 6 months out and losing hair like mad. My doc said it was just something I'd have to wait out. Oh well. Thin and bald vs fat and hairy? I'll take the thin and bald! Linda
Krissy
on 12/9/03 11:44 pm - Cranford, NJ
Hi Alice, You can try using the VitaTress hair products from Nexxus. It will definitely help reduce the amount of hair you lose. ~Kristin
Kathleen R.
on 12/10/03 2:21 am - Mercerville, NJ
Hi Alice, I too experienced hair loss around the 3rd month. I took Biotin, which is a vitamin that helps to promote hair and nail growth. My rapid weight loss slowed down around the same time that I started taking it, so I'm not sure if it was the Biotin, the slowing down process, or both. Good Luck. Hope you are doing well. Kathy
Alice O.
on 12/10/03 3:41 am
Thanks to everyone *****sponded. I guess I just have to tough it out! I'm about half-way through the hair loss. Everything else has gone so smoothly, greatful that's the worst of it! Take care everyone and Happy Holidays! Alice
Alice O.
on 12/10/03 10:04 pm
Most Active
Recent Topics