Protien tips please

SeaShoreClams H.
on 12/3/03 5:20 am - Jersey City, NJ
I am having trouble meeting my 70-75 grams of protien a day. I tried Kirk's protien balls and fruit protien drinks. They are okay but I never drink or eat it all. I am considering buying protien snack bars, but that get pricey easily. Does anyone have any tips on this subject?
JC N.
on 12/5/03 11:10 pm - Hamilton, NJ
Hi EraDee! How far are you out??? There are many ways of getting protein in but there are also a few rules that you must follow. . . 1) your first source of all nutrition should be food, stay within 1000 calories and get your protein in first 2) protein supplements are just that SUPPLEMENTS!!! Please be careful. . .some protein bars are loaded with carbs and 3) some protein bars are also loaded with sugar alcohols. . while sugar alcohols don't count in "net" carbs they can have a nasty side effect close to dumping syndrome. . .most people are not aware of this but anything with soribitol, manitol, etc., can cause diarrhea if taken in too much at a time. . .gastric bypass patients need to be aware of this . . . when my brother in law became diabetic we had someone make sugar free chocolates for him. . .we warned him no more that one or two pieces a day. . .need I say he DIDN'T listen and ate a whole pound!!! He lived on the throne for the next 3 days. . . How has your doctor suggested you break down your meals??? 4) it's also important to remember that gastric bypass patients can not utilize more than 25 - 30 grams of protein at a time. . .some doctors prescribe 6 smaller meals a day. . . In our group we have a couple of rules we try to live by (no, we are not always perfect), I'll share them with you. . . Protein first, take your vitamins and drink water. . .and take that extra step today!!! Hope this helps. . .feel free to e me anytime!!! Good luck!!! Judy Begin A New You OSSG
Most Active
Recent Topics