Any support groups coming up soon?

poohniki
on 8/19/03 2:47 am - Manahawkin, NJ
Hi Everyone! I'm scheduled for lap RNY with Dr. Borao Sept 9th and I'm looking for a support group to learn more about that to expect the first weeks into the surgery. I have spent hours reading everyone pages and hearing about the recovery, but I've never had surgery of any kind before, never broke anything.. and kinda scared I'm finally going to experience pain. I think I'll be ok, but I want to hope for the best and be prepared for the worst. Any info about the first few post-op weeks or a support group where I can ask a million and one questions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks Nicole Feeley
Denise W.
on 8/19/03 5:06 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Hey Nicole, I had open RNY, so I would imagine my pain experience would be a little more than yours will. Having never had surgery before either, I was very apprehensive, but I have to say, my pain was very manageable. My surgeon gives you an epidural, that concentrates in your stomach area. Those who get that have virtually no pain at all until it's unhooked the day you go home. It didn't work for me unfortunately, so I was hooked up to a morphine drip. While I felt a little pain, it was alot less than I thought it would be. He sent me home with an RX for Percocet, which I took the first 3 days home, but then didn't feel the need for it anymore after that. The biggest thing that hurt me was sneezing, coughing and belly laughing. Sitting, lying down, climbing stairs wasn't bad at all. Again, I don't know what your pain level will be since it's LAP, but if I was very pleased with the low level of pain I felt with my surgery (and I'm a BIG pain wuss!). Best wishes on your surgery! Denise
Pat C.
on 8/19/03 8:19 am - Oakhurst, NJ
There's a support group that meets at Monmouth Medical Center. The next one is on August 28. Call 732-923-6990 to register.
Nannette R.
on 8/19/03 10:25 am
Hey Nicole - good luck with your surgery -- There is a WLS Ocean County Support group (not affiliated with any doctors) that meets in Brick, NJ the third Friday of each month. The next meeting is September 19th -- you just missed the last one. We are mostly post-op and several seriously pre-op patients. E-mail me if you are interested in more details. Regards, Nannette Ryan, lap RNY, 6/16/03, -54#
Most Active
Recent Topics