I maybe doing something wrong :(

MONI0919
on 5/11/12 12:37 pm, edited 5/11/12 12:39 pm - Bayonne, NJ
VSG on 04/25/12 with
on April 15 I stared  my liquid diet before my op,  on april 25 the day of my op i was 225  today  2 week after my op im  218 :(  i think Im not loosing  weight as other , im in a liquid diet creamy,  cottage chesee, ligh yougurt, baby food, sking milk

what at i'm doing wrong :(  is this the weight I supposte to had loose  Im too slow, or what, please help, I'm also drinking coconu****er drained  , the only thing that i had have more than 2 onz is the soup that i made my self wish i blend,

im not taking protein other that the one on the cottage cheease, yogurt and milk,

any help plese, is tlike im stuck on 218 217 :(

my regular doctor scale said 218 yesterday, my scale said 217,  everywhere i go is diferent,

sugarpie
on 5/13/12 3:51 am - Landing, NJ
Well. You are only 2 weeks out.  Your body is recovering and healing.  Be patient at this stage.  I am not sure if coconu****er has protein in it, but at this stage everything you eat or drink should have protein in it.

Protein shakes, cottage cheese, egg beaters, yogurt, etc.  Concentrate on your protein and everything will fall into place.

Remember this is a journey, not a sprint.  Everyone loses at a different rate.  I 'only' lost about 20 lbs the first month.  But lost 170 in the course of a year.

So hang in there and you will as Tom says be on the 'loser's bench'

MONI0919
on 5/13/12 5:02 am - Bayonne, NJ
VSG on 04/25/12 with
thank you for your help sugarpie,  hoping to star seen progress soon
 thanks

Tom C.
on 5/18/12 6:37 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

*** DISCLAIMER ALERT *** TALK TO THE DOCTOR/NUTRITIONIST BEFORE INCREASING /CHANGE YOUR INTAKE.

Remember, this isn’t a race. “Slow and steady wins the race".  We are a generation of instantaneous results, however remember we didn’t put all the weight on at once, it took years. So don’t you think losing it would take just as long? This isn't one of those miracle instantaneous weight loss programs. We all know types of programs always fail. This is a way of life

Nowhere does any of the literate state you will lose x amount of weight in x days. Think LONG TERM. If it takes you 2 – 3 -5 years to lose all the weight, WHO CARES!!! How long did it take you to put all those pounds on? Try to remind yourself that even if I lost only 1 pound per week, in year’s time I’d be 52 pounds lighter. Many doctors believe the slower you lose weight, the better chance you have of keeping it off. 

Many folks are hung up on the number. It’s not the number of pounds that someone loses in a specified period of time that is important. It’s how you feel. Don’t forget, if you are toning up muscle – your weight loss may seem to have slowed (or stopped), when in fact you are replacing fat with muscle. Muscle is heavier then fat. Someone weighting 200 pounds with a body fat percentage of 25 is carrying around 50 pounds of extra fat. That same person weighting 200 pounds with 10 percent body fat would be carrying 20 pounds of fat. So it’s not the number that is important.

The amount of weight lost is affected by many factors. Everyone loses weight at different rates. It has to do with age, gender, one’s weight, exercise, etc.. A 10 pound lost to one person could be as affected as a 40 pound lost to another. Think of it this way: If a 400-pound person loses 40 pounds; a 300-pound person loses 30 pounds, a 200-pound person loses 20 pounds, and a 100-pound person loses 10 pounds – the 400-pound person didn’t necessarily lose more weight than the others. All three lost 10% of their body weight. 

Also there are other “scales" you can use to monitor your success: your constant hunger reduction (eliminated); reduced clothing size; increase energy; re-familiarizing yourself to body-parts unseen for years (errr… toes) ; “common" activity becoming easier (walking, climbing steps), just feeling good about yourself; sleeping better (reduced snoring); the mirror; better medical exam results (lower cholesterol and/or blood pressure); etc.

Remember, weight WILL fluctuate. It depends on the DAY, the TIME OF DAY, and what’s going on “physically". If it’s T.O.M. (no not me) time you can be a “little heavier" because of water.

*** DISCLAIMER ALERT *** TALK TO THE DOCTOR/NUTRITIONIST BEFORE INCREASING /CHANGE YOUR INTAKE.

Now I need to ask, are you taking in your recommend amount of PROTEIN??? Make sure you are getting your 60 to 80 grams of protein (or whatever your Doctor told you). THIS IS IMPORTANT TO WEIGHT LOSS. In the future, you can worry about those other things, but for now - WORRY ABOUT THE PROTEIN. Now don’t get me wrong - I don’t want you to eat a bag of chips, or whole cake or drink tons of ice cream shakes in order to get protein in. You need to use some common sense :) !!

When I first had the operation I had the same concerns as you. A close friend, who is a Certified Fitness Trainer, gave me a valuable lesson concerning losing weight. He gave me some information I found interesting, and thought I’d pass it along. The first thing he said is “You have to EAT in order to lose weight". I know, it sounds strange. He further explained, this does not mean to OVEREAT, but eat sensible portions. That means eat until you feel full (not stuffed).

He explained the body is a marvelous machine, and it will protect itself. If one doesn’t eat enough, the body’s metabolism will slow down - in order to keep it functioning. If a person intake is less then what it expels, the body will start to “store" food. If a person stay on this type of eating regiment over a prolonged period, the body starts to “eat itself" - which is extremely unhealthy and could be fatal.

He said don’t worry if you’re loosing right away. He said as long as we follow the guidelines our Doctors/Nutritionist has set for us, we will loose weight. The body sometimes takes a while before it “resets" itself.

Maybe you need MORE PROTEIN. When I first had the operation I noticed if I ate 4 ounces of protein I didn’t feel full - however if I ate 6 ounces I did. I spoke to my Doctor about it. FOR ME he said that those “numbers" are somewhat guidelines. He went on to explain there are some folks who feel full on 2 ounces of protein while some need 6 or 8. He also explained that the calories intake should not be too much of a concern in the beginning. The way he explained it to me was: Prior the operation I may have been taken 3,000 calories per day. After the operation, with the amount of food I was taking in - I may have been taking in 1700 calories. While that’s 500 calories more then the recommended daily allotment - it was actually 1300 calories less then what I normally took in. So not only was I losing weight, but was also feel full. We need to worry about calories when our weight slows downs/stops or starts going up.

Stop and be proud of your lost. No matter how small it may seem. Remember, it’s better to lose 1/2 pound then to GAIN 1/8 pound.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active
Recent Topics