10 years post op-need advice / nutritionist

JulieZ126
on 3/25/12 12:32 pm - NJ
I had gastric bypass surgery almost 10 years ago.  I lost about 120 lbs.  In the last 8 years I have gained about 50 lbs. 
I have felt very much like a failure over the last 5+ years, gaining the weight. I know I have not followed a lot of the "instructions," that are given about wls in the recent years. Because of this, I have not maintained communication with my wls surgeon.  I feel like I can't face him.  
I began researching weight gain after wls and have since found many people who have had a similar experience, and that has helped me to feel less alone. 
So, my question is basically...I would like to sit down with someone very knowledgeable about the surgery and its effects to determine how I can get back on track.  I assume I am looking for a nutritionist.  Can anyone out there recommend someone in the Morris County area?  I wonder what effect the surgery has had on my metabolism, and is that why I am not able to lose much weight when I count my calories, and / or do weigh****chers?  Obviously, I know my pouch has stretched.  Is there any way to, non-surgically, help me re-use it as a tool? 
I have been reading about people who have had lap-band surgery after gastric bypass, and I am not sure this is for me. 
I think I am finally ready to call my surgeon, Dr. David Ward, but I don't really know why I would even see him, as I don't think I want to go down the surgery road again.  Maybe he can help, I don't know.  He was wonderful, its not that.  I just feel like, "For crying out loud, I ALTERED MY INSIDES," and I still can't lose weight??  
For a while I thought maybe I need a therapist who specializes in food addiction.  I am not sure what I need.  If there is anyone out there who can show me the right direction, or send along some referrals, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you.
RobinNJ
on 3/26/12 4:29 am - Ewing, NJ
Julie
 I feel your pain, woman.  I am 6 years post-op myself.  I lost 160#s in the first 2.5 years then maintained for another year or so.  In the past 2 years I've regained about 60#s.
I am part of a great support group run by my surgeon's practice in Mercer County.  I am sorry that is so far away from you.
Is there a nutritionist that specializes in post-bariatric surgery issues near you?  That would be my first stop, before the surgeon again. 
Good luck in your search.  Let me know how things go.
Robin in Ewing
RobinNJ - half the woman she once was.

Most Active
Recent Topics