Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery looking for friends

martinafisher
on 12/17/11 12:15 am - NJ
Hi,

My name is Tina and I am having the gastric sleeve done.  I am getting all my doc visits out of the way and hope to have it done soon.  I live in south jersey and Dr Marc Neff is my surgeon.  He is a great Doctor.  We have support groups that we attend and he even takes the time out of his busy schedule to attend them which I think is fantastic.

I am so anxious to have my surgery!!  I need to lose about 125 pounds at least.  I was wondering how others did having this procedure and that much weight to lose.  How well did you do, and did it come off fast.

Looking for some friends while going through this wonderful and exciting journey

maryc543
on 12/17/11 12:54 pm
Hi Martina,
I had a DS, but in 2 steps...so, for the first year (and 100 pounds or so), I had a sleeve only.   The weight came off fast in the beginning  (my stats are on my profile, if you click on my name on the right)....  and there wasn't the malabsorption component to deal with...  this means, if you take 40 gms of protein, you get to absorb 40 grams of protein....  there's a bit of supplementation needed on the vitamins, but not tons.....    the VSG board on OH was very useful to me....  I learned a lot from the people further out than me. 
   I had a lot more weight than you to lose, so I needed the DS....  but the sleeve has much less potential for complications and vitamin problems, so...  Congrats on finding a surgeon you trust, and post any questions you can think of.   Mary

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

martinafisher
on 1/19/12 4:20 am - NJ
Hi Mary thank you for your support  Congratulations on your weight loss...wow, 100 pounds!!
I can't wait to say that one day.  I am so looking forward to this new journey I have been through so much with have lower chronic back pain, needing a knee replacement, and high cholesterol.

I am so grateful to have met you, please keep in touch with me
bklyncat58
on 12/17/11 9:16 pm - NJ
Hi Tina . I had the VSG on Oct. 13th started at 272 that was in Aug. as of the other day I'M 225 . i LOVE IT I told my hubby I feel like I eat like a skinny person LOL.I've had no problems at all so far I'm in South jersey also the shore area IF youhave any questions just ask I'm always looking for friends

martinafisher
on 1/19/12 4:13 am - NJ
Wow...Congratulations on your weight loss  All of you are so nice to talk to.  I am so excited about the choice I made!!  Just anxious and nervous at the same time.  I kid with my hubby too...lol 
We married 5 years ago and he married me for who the person I was. 
He has never seen me skinny yet, so I can't wait to surprise him.  He has been my rock and lucky to have his support.

What started all of this, is my crippling lower back problems.  I want to be able to walk the boardwalk down the shore and not worry about where the nearest bench is to rest.  I am praying this surgery will help give me my life back.  I know I will possibly still have the pain, but it's got to get better. 

Please keep in touch, its so nice to have such great friends on here
Fancy4684
on 1/16/12 12:36 pm
 Hey tina ! I had vsg on 05/16/11 and my goal is to drop 150 lbs. currently I am down just over 100 lbs. I am very happy in my surgery choice. If you have any other quest please let me know ! 
martinafisher
on 1/19/12 4:03 am - NJ
Wow... Congratulations!!  You did that in such a short time
That is so great I am so happy for you!!

Please keep in touch with me and feel so confident in my decision.  Thanks for being there for me
martinafisher
on 2/12/12 1:30 am - NJ
Wow that's so awesome!!  Congratulations you are doing so great!!  I am so looking forward to having this done, it will surely help my medical problems, especially my lower back.  I had surgery 15 years ago, now I have scar tissue in that area which they say I have stenosis there.  When I do alot of walking it hurts so badly and I am getting numbness down my leg.  So worried because after surgery, we are to start out walking alot.  I am praying I will be able to do this, I have no choice I have to to avoid blood clots.  I try walking the malls now and stores, but I get that numbness.  Anyway, I want to thank you for responding to me, it's so nice to have the support.  Please keep in touch
martinafisher
on 1/19/12 3:55 am - NJ
I am so excited, I just found out that I will be able to have my surgery on February 20th  I can't believe how my new journey is nearing..... I am nervous as well.  I want to make sure I follow this exactly to the "T"  Clear liquids the first 10 days, lots of water, and I think sugar free jello... Have to look into that to make sure.

What clear protein shots seemed to be the best?  I know its a matter of opinion was just curious how everyone felt. 

My starting weight is 254 and hoping to get down to 125 which I haven't seen in about 17 years.  I can't wait. 
rbb825
on 2/10/12 3:28 pm - Suffern, NY
you want to stay away from protein shots - they aren't a good source of protein.  If you have to be on clear protein and arent' allowed milk products to have protein shakes, go to GNC and get Isopure low carb Protein drinks - they come in many flavors - my favorites are grape and fruit punch - they are 40grams of protein for 20ounces

once you can have milk products - make yourself some protein shakes with great syrups and flavorings.  Here is one recipe I like

8 ounces of FF milk
2 tablespoons Sugar free chocolate syrup (I use torani)
5 to 6 ice cubes
1 1/2  scoops of chocolate whey protein from GNC - Red Package ProPerformance
2 tablespoons of Sugar Free chocolate pudding powder
1 sliced banana

Put it all in a blender for about 45 seconds until smooth.  This gives you about 45 grams of protein - it is delicous and tastes like a chocolate milkshake.  Enjoy

Most Active
Recent Topics