Support Group in NW NJ for VSG

46_11tobeme
on 12/1/11 10:59 pm - NJ
I live in Sussex County and had VSG on 10/24. While my surgeons group does have support groups, most of the attendees are RNY or Lap Band. I have not gone yet but they they might get 1 VSG person at a meeting. I think we have different issues and would really like to find a support group just for VSG. Anybody know of any?? 
Thanks

walter A.
on 12/2/11 7:33 am - lafayette, NJ
since there aren't any wls surgeons in Sussex, you went to the closest one who does the vsg to us. and hes pretty new at it .  I went to Nebraska for mine. and one month out still had my feeding tube and was quite comfortable, but was eating pizza, Chinese or what ever in limited quantity too.   visit the vsg forum, and the ds forum. lots of support there.
46_11tobeme
on 12/6/11 10:20 am - NJ
 Why did you have a feeding tube? I have checked out all the boards, but am also looking for something in person. Yes my MD is relatively new to VSG (I think he has done around 50) but he has done thousands of bariatric procedures and has good surgical stats. I have had a very good experience with him - no probs. Also spoke to one of his sleeve pts before surgery. How are you doing? Where do you go for follow up if your surgeon is so far away?

Tom C.
on 12/12/11 11:49 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
So far I have not found any SLEEVE only support groups in the immediate area. They are usually combined with another support group.

I will ask around, and if I find one specific for Sleeve patients, I will let you know.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
AA63
on 1/19/12 9:17 pm - NJ
I am just learning about the surgeries. I saw dietician and got diet instructions for bypass and sleeve- they are almost identical- so I think that support group for bypass and sleeve would be very similar, since both are stapling, not banding.
 http://www.bariatricsurgeonnj.com/procedures/gastric-bypass-surgery-nj/
maryc543
on 1/20/12 5:37 am
with the sleeve, there are no malabsorption issues, other than quantity, so there really should be a big difference in diet instructions, especially past the initial stages.  With the sleeve, you absorb 100% of what you eat....   not so with the bypass.....   if you eat 50 gms of protein with the sleeve, you end up with 50 grams of protein,  with the bypass, isn't some of the intestines bypassed, so you need to be very aware of what is being mal-absorped?  
    Maybe only the immediate post op instructions are the same...       Mary

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

Most Active
Recent Topics