IV Iron Infusion Anyone???

knailnhair
on 11/14/11 3:09 am - Milford, NJ
Well I just received the call I have been unpleasantly waiting for.....my iron levels are continuing to drop. My surgeons office is now suggesting I see a Hematologist and talk about IV iron infusions. I now take 3 iron pills a day with OJ. My blood count is dropping also.

A week after my revision to bypass surgery I needed to have 4 pints of blood as I was rushed to the hospital. Released and 2 days later rushed back again and needed 1 more pint.

I'm just wondering how the people who have had the IV therapy have handled the process, how long is the actual process and if it has been successful for them.

Yes, I will ask my new doctor all of these question and I have been skimming the Net all day, just wanted some feedback from you guys....

Thanks!!!

Kimi
Everything happens for a reason..Just believe...

pauliegirl69
on 11/15/11 4:49 am - NJ
Hi Kimi
I'm doing Iron infusions right now. This is the second time in the 4 years since my WLS.
I can not take oral iron. it really kills my stomach, do I opted for the infusions. Easy long as you can deal with the IV once a week for about 6 weeks.
knailnhair
on 11/15/11 9:33 pm - Milford, NJ
On November 15, 2011 at 12:49 PM Pacific Time, pauliegirl69 wrote:
Hi Kimi
I'm doing Iron infusions right now. This is the second time in the 4 years since my WLS.
I can not take oral iron. it really kills my stomach, do I opted for the infusions. Easy long as you can deal with the IV once a week for about 6 weeks.

Awesome for you!!! I got an appt with the Hemotologist for next Friday....silly bit I'm excited to start this process. Thanks for replying!!

Kimi

jerseyjuji
on 11/15/11 11:38 am
 It;s not as unpleasant as it sounds and you will really feel alot better once your iron stores have replenished. I just finished a series of 8 weekly IV infusions. My iron had tanked over the past year and I was feeling like crap plus developed some scarey symptoms...after the 5th infusion, I felt 100% better!!   My infusions never lasted more than about 20 mins, they were painless (once the needle is in, lol). The first time, I had to stay an extra 20 mins to watch for an allergic reaction, which is not common anymore (with the new iron solutions) but can happen. Some drs give a prophylactic dose of benedryl, mine does not.  I would imagine that, taking 3 iron pills a day, you are aving constipation issues....IV infusions will not cause that.  My insurance covered 80% of the cost, which came out to around $40 per visit.  Well worth it to me!   Hope you are feeling better soon.  julie
knailnhair
on 11/15/11 9:35 pm - Milford, NJ
On November 15, 2011 at 7:38 PM Pacific Time, jerseyjuji wrote:
 It;s not as unpleasant as it sounds and you will really feel alot better once your iron stores have replenished. I just finished a series of 8 weekly IV infusions. My iron had tanked over the past year and I was feeling like crap plus developed some scarey symptoms...after the 5th infusion, I felt 100% better!!   My infusions never lasted more than about 20 mins, they were painless (once the needle is in, lol). The first time, I had to stay an extra 20 mins to watch for an allergic reaction, which is not common anymore (with the new iron solutions) but can happen. Some drs give a prophylactic dose of benedryl, mine does not.  I would imagine that, taking 3 iron pills a day, you are aving constipation issues....IV infusions will not cause that.  My insurance covered 80% of the cost, which came out to around $40 per visit.  Well worth it to me!   Hope you are feeling better soon.  julie
Hi Julie...
Thanks for replying!! Having never gone thru this it's a scary thing!! I was able to get into to see the Hemotologist next friday so I'm excited!! Sounds silly I know...just want to feel better so I can step up this weight loss!!! No energy sucks!!!
Oddly enough, I have no constipation whatsoever!!! THANK GOD!!!!  I guess cause I'm not absorbing the pills???
Thanks again!!!!
Kimi

Kimi

rbb825
on 2/10/12 3:41 pm - Suffern, NY
I just came across your post now.  I was wondering what happened when you went to the hematologist?  Did you start IV iron infusions?  Did they help?  How are your iron and ferritin levels now?  If not, what type of iron are you taking and how much?  Are you taking it with vitamin C?

You said you were taking it with orange juice but that is not enough to absorb the iron.  You need to be taking doses of carbonyl iron with vitamin C - 200mg of vitamin C per 30mg of iron, so if your levels are really low - a large dosage of iron would be recommended like 4 or 5 of the 60mg carbonyl iron capsules from vitalady.com called tender irons.  they are easily absorbed, easy on the stomach and non constipating.  They are worth a try if you haven't already tried anything.  The other thing to try is called proferrin which is much stronger than the carbonyl iron but is much more expensive - carbonyl is cheap.  Proferrin is heme iron and is the last resort before IV iron - you break them in half and take without calcium and without vitamin C - also 2-4 hours away from thyroid.  Some try a combination of the carbonyl iron and proferrin but in separate doses.    You can take up to 5 of the carbonyl and 3 of the proferrin.  If that maximum dosing does nothing after 3 months, you can definitely say you don't absorb iron but you need to give it atleast 3 months and if some increase, then give it another 3 months.  Then you can continue to maintain.

Most Active
Recent Topics