Totally Off Topic: Does anyone know a doggy day care?

maryc543
on 8/22/11 6:23 am, edited 8/22/11 6:25 am
Does anyone know a doggy day care in Bergen County?  I called PetSmart and they don't have one at the paramus location.   I'm going to try to call some groomers or vets offices, but was hoping for a local reference.   I will prob be dog sitting for a month, and would prefer to have them in 'daycare' while I'm at work, rather than home crated  (or eating a sofa, as they have done last month in their real home).    I have been PROMISED my siter duties are for 4 weeks only.... so, I, a pet-less, child-less, full time working and going to school person thought this might be an expensive but suitable solution.   I would get the dog after work, and keep it company until the next morning....    HELP ME,,,,  there has to be a pet lover here to advise me!
    (It's an 8 month old Golden Retriever, lovely, but dumb, and prefers to teethe on wood rather than rawhides, bones, frozen ropes, and every other toy the store has recommended!
                                                                                        Mary

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

Tom C.
on 8/22/11 8:15 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

MaryC,

Originally I wasn't a "crate" person, but over the years I've a 'convert'. As long as the crate is big enough, the dog should have no issues. And if stop and think about if, if you brought a dog to a kennel, they put them in a big cage – which is nothing more then a glorified crate.

I have a Jack Russell Terrier and a Puggle, and they are both in crates - big enough for a "large" dog. I think the extra room does them well. Plus they know they get a "treat" when they go into the crate. It's gotten to the point, anytime they get a treat they head to the crate (for security). And if they are bad, they run to the crate (again for security). I never 'cross that line' of the crate. I want them to feel "secure" there. This is their haven.

I have a friend who works for an Animal Shelter in the Bridgewater area. If you’d like I can ask her if she has any suggestions.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
maryc543
on 8/22/11 10:00 am
Two weekends ago, I  put together her crate....  she'll go into it to get a snack I've thrown or a toy...but otherwise she ignores it.    She's used to having the run of the house...and I guess I'm just nervous she'll eat the woodwork or something if left alone.....   I think I'll try the crate and leaving her alone while I'm at work.....  I'm really hoping it's not too much, moving her into my condo from the farm AND shutting her into a crate during the day....  I hope she's pretty adaptable...  I got a quote from a doggie day care today....  $265 for a week...  AARRGGHHHH.....    that definitely rules that out....   I'll only have her for a month, (grin)   I don't think I can do permanent damage to a dog's psyche in that short time!     
     I'm also trying to talk a friend with a dog run into letting me leave her there during the day  (in the outside run).  Their dog died a few months ago, and it's just sitting empty...  (grin)   I need a plan A, a plan B, and maybe a back up plan....  LOL.    hmmmm   maybe I'm planning this just a tad too much!      Thanks for the response!           Mary  C       

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

Tom C.
on 8/22/11 10:16 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

In  the beginning our dogs resisted going into the crate, however over a short time they came to accept it. In fact, they find it their sanctuary – especially during stressful times. I will heed, in order for them to feel  this is a “safe/good" place never punish them into the crate, nor if they run in never go after them. They need to “know" they have a safe haven.

In order to get them comfortable, we found their favorite treats and started to throw them into the crate – with the door open.  When they went in to get it, we would still keep the door open so they knew they could enter and exit as they pleased – an realize this wasn’t “bad place". There were times we would close the door (to leave), and they would be whimpering/crying – but like a baby you sometimes need to do a “tough love". They eventually learn.

Our one dog was about 7 when we started this, and the other was a puppy. Believe it or not, age didn’t play too much of a factor into which got accustomed to the crate quicker.

If you’re truly worried about chewing the woodwork, you can buy a “paste" to prevent this. It’s supposedly made with sour apples, and dogs hate it.

Or you can do the following, which is suppose to help prevent the dog from peeing in the house. It gives the allusion of a dominate dog “spraying" the area.

1 liter of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

¼ cup of vinegar

¼ cup of clear or very lightly tinted mouthwash

¼ cup of lemon juice

½ tsp of liquid dish soap

1 fine mist spray bottle

Combine the ingredients together and mix thoroughly. Pour mixture into a spray mist bottle and shake before every use.

Good Luck

Tom "I am NOT Cesar Millan" Casola
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
hockeymom8016
on 8/22/11 10:07 pm - NJ
As Tom said, if the crate is big enough the dog will be fine. They even like it. Until we gave our crate to our daughter a few months ago, our 9 yo black lab mix would sometimes go into his crate to "chill".

rbb825
on 9/1/11 8:07 pm - Suffern, NY
Going back many years, there was a kennel called VIP - it was located in either Mahwah or Ramsey. I dont' know if they are still there or if they do Day Care.  We brought our dog there for long term kennel - usually 10 days to 2 weeks when we were on vacation.  This must have been 15 to 20 years ago -it was my parents that brought the dog there but you can check to see if they are still there. They might be expensive though - I remember we liked it because the dogs werent' in cages.  They each had there own little room with a doggy door to go out to there own private run.  They had piped in music and you to bring there favorite toys and there own food. Whenever we went elsewhere, the dog didnt' eat - this way you bring your own food and the dog is happy. They also bathe the dogs and groom if necessary.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but it was a really nice experience for the dog. She loved to go there.

walter A.
on 9/5/11 11:26 am - lafayette, NJ
as a retired breeder of Golden's, I would not sell a puppy to a family that did not have and use a crate with the puppy,  it is necessary for the puppy's well being and the safety of the home, a 8 month old pup will chew and destroy a home content at will, he teething his adult teeth U need to learn how to manage your puppy, and use a crate, it will be your savior, and your puppy will love you for it. for starters always make it available to him as HIS space with the door open,  put a blanket over it, dogs are cave dwellers. instinctively he will seek out his refuge when he wants quiet. when he is to be alone, close the door.
 my avatar is not a golden, its  a nsdt. 
Most Active
Recent Topics