Getting ready

michelleolk
on 8/9/11 2:14 pm - NJ
Getting ready for my surgery on Friday. Having a gastic band done by Dr. Mehta. I wish there was a local group around central jersey. I have no idea what to expect and what to do. I feel like i'm going in blind and if anyone can give me some advice I would really appreciate it. Thank You all.
Tom C.
on 8/10/11 8:00 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Michelleolk,

Where in Central Jersey are you? There are a lot of support groups around.

If you feel blind, well I am volunteering to be your seeing eye dog. Feel free to contact me with questions, and I'll try my best to answer them.

Know there are a lot of great people on this board willing to help.

Good luck, and can't wait to see you on the Losers' Bench in the Winner's Circle.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Laureen S.
on 8/12/11 1:20 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Hi Michelle,

By the time you read this post you will be a post-op.  Wishing you an easy transition to the losers bench.

While I did not have the band, I am willing to help you in any way I can, I am a volunteer support group leader at Barix Clinics in Langhorne, PA.  Not sure where you live in Central NJ, but there is a support group that meets monthly in Langhorne, PA, where I had my surgery almost 4 years ago and to give you perspective it is not all that far away from Trenton, it's near to Sesame Place.  It is open to anyone in need of support, meetings occur on the 3rd Wednesday of each month, from 7:00 to 8:30/9:00 p.m. and the first Saturday of each month, from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and we have some folks who've had lap band in attendance.  Mainly it is to help people along as they begin life post-op and further on with the challenges of this lifestyle, as well as the WOW moments and emotional roller coaster ride WLS patients can experience.

I started out on this board 4 years ago, however, because of where I live in proximity to Philadelphia and where I ultimately choose to have my surgery, I began participating on the PA Forum, which is also a very active support forum.  Great people on here as well, just wanted to say that if it's support you are looking for, there is plenty out there, perhaps, if you haven't tried yet, you should log in to the banders on OH.

Again, best wishes, follow your surgeon's advice and you will do well!

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

MiissOre0
on 8/12/11 7:44 pm - pennsauken, NJ
I know you are post-op right now. And i hope everything turned out okay  from the surgery. But there is a support group that i try to go to. It is run by Dr.Greenbaum's office in Willingboro,NJ. It is run every first Monday of the month. There are tons of people there that share their story and you can detailed things about each surgery. It is very educational. If you have any questions..please dont hesitate to send me an email or message. I would to help you through this recovery..

This is a start of a new beginning..hw/cw/gw 600/200/175

michelleolk
on 8/17/11 7:11 am - NJ
Thank you so much for the support. I feel blind here. I am post op right now. I had my surgery Monday and the worst was the first two days, but I am feeling better today. I have to see my doc tomorrow because I may have an infection by my port. It is red, swollen and hot. He would need to give me some antibiotics. I hope that would be all I need. It is very painful at the site. I will keep in touch.

Michelle

Most Active
Recent Topics