Independence Day

Maryellen R.
on 7/3/11 10:10 pm - Sayville, NY
 Independence Day

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Perhaps the above statement is the most famous line from the Declaration of Independence…. and as I ponder the significance of what this means in our country’s history, I also consider “Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" as a statement of my independence resulting from weight loss surgery. Simply stated, I declare my INDEPENDECE from the bonds and constrictions created by my obesity. I no longer look to others to tie my shoes, or get a “something" from upstairs or even across the room. I have the LIBERTY to shop for clothes where I want, no longer bound to “plus" size stores. I have a new LIFE, aided by surgery and I have the UNALIEABLE RIGHT and responsibility to develop goals and create dreams that allow me to pursue my own version of HAPPINESS.

I am not saying that I suffered a miserable life before surgery; in fact, I am one of the fortunate few. I had and have a loving husband, two very beautiful daughters, a father that loves me unconditionally and friends I have known most of my life. I held a very responsible position at a local college as an Associate Director of Admissions. I celebrate my five year “surgiversary" soon and during these past 60 months I have developed a new INDEPENENCE of thought and attitude. I have revised the “Essence of Maryellen", and changed my priorities. My parents instilled extremely positive core values which will never change, but I have found new paths to follow in order to compliment those values; all because of my decision to have surgery and unlock the shackles of obesity.

My journey has allowed me to pursue my dream of “paying it forward" by founding LIPO, and with the help of Frank (may God Bless him) be a cofounder of this company, HELP and its numerous supporters. I am dedicated to the success of HELP because that translates into helping others. I wish for others to experience the new LIFE after weight loss surgery, the LIBERTY that comes with renewed health, and the right of the Pursuit of Happiness.

I wish you a healthy, happy, and safe Fourth of July.

(((HUGS))) Maryellen

Maryellen
To visit LIPO (Long Island Post Ops) bariatric support group website click here: www.liponation.org

"WLS is a journey, not a destination (don't get comfortable) ... it's a road that we must travel daily to succeed".  Faith Thomas

visit my blog at theessenceofmaryellen.com/

Most Active
Recent Topics