Revision Surgery Needed.....

Sarah P.
on 5/19/11 7:31 am
I had 2 band and finally revised to rny...I am so happy that I did. I am down over 50 pounds, I had lots of problems with reflux with the band and nothing with the rny.

HW / SW / CW / GW
270   252   178 150        
knailnhair
on 5/19/11 10:45 pm - Milford, NJ
On May 19, 2011 at 2:31 PM Pacific Time, Sarah P. wrote:
I had 2 band and finally revised to rny...I am so happy that I did. I am down over 50 pounds, I had lots of problems with reflux with the band and nothing with the rny.
Wow...sorry you had to have a revision, but so happy you're doing well!!! Can I ask a few questions??? First off, we have the same doc and he's awesome!!! What happened with your bands not working for you? Why did you chose RNY over the sleeve?? What hospital did you have your surgery in? Any problems with the RNY after surgery?

Kimi
Everything happens for a reason..Just believe...

Sarah P.
on 5/20/11 10:18 pm
My first band was the 4cc and every time I got a fill it would get too tight and the reflux was horrible. I was taking nexium 2x a day and still had to be careful! Dr. Abkin replaced the smaller band with the realize band. I was going along OK and then horrible pain that wouldn't go away. It was taken out and the pain was gone. Dr. Abkin couldn't see any reason for the pain...weird. Then of course I started gaining weight, I talked to Dr. Abkin and my bmi was about 34-35 and we decided on the RNY. I hadn't gained all of the weight back so I wasn't starting from scratch. My insurance wouldn't cover the sleeve for a BMI under 40. I was OK with that. I am thrilled with the rny!!! I have used St. Clairs and Morristown ( I have had a few complications over the years) and like both hospitals but believe that I got a horrible infection at Morristown and that sucked! The only problems that I have had from the rny was adhesions, I don't think its really a rny complication, I have had too many abdominal surgeries and that can happen but Dr. Abkin fixed them and I am sailing along beautifully!! Also, my blood work is perfect, I was scared about the malabsorbtion ( thats why i went with the band to begin with) but I am religious about my vitamins! I am thrilled all the way around!

HW / SW / CW / GW
270   252   178 150        
knailnhair
on 5/23/11 1:55 am - Milford, NJ
On May 21, 2011 at 5:18 AM Pacific Time, Sarah P. wrote:
My first band was the 4cc and every time I got a fill it would get too tight and the reflux was horrible. I was taking nexium 2x a day and still had to be careful! Dr. Abkin replaced the smaller band with the realize band. I was going along OK and then horrible pain that wouldn't go away. It was taken out and the pain was gone. Dr. Abkin couldn't see any reason for the pain...weird. Then of course I started gaining weight, I talked to Dr. Abkin and my bmi was about 34-35 and we decided on the RNY. I hadn't gained all of the weight back so I wasn't starting from scratch. My insurance wouldn't cover the sleeve for a BMI under 40. I was OK with that. I am thrilled with the rny!!! I have used St. Clairs and Morristown ( I have had a few complications over the years) and like both hospitals but believe that I got a horrible infection at Morristown and that sucked! The only problems that I have had from the rny was adhesions, I don't think its really a rny complication, I have had too many abdominal surgeries and that can happen but Dr. Abkin fixed them and I am sailing along beautifully!! Also, my blood work is perfect, I was scared about the malabsorbtion ( thats why i went with the band to begin with) but I am religious about my vitamins! I am thrilled all the way around!
Sarah....so glad to hear you're doing awesome!!!! Thanks so much for sharing your story with me!!!

Kimi

walter A.
on 5/30/11 11:31 am - lafayette, NJ
I would urge you to consider the vsg,  and if it doesn't do it for you then do the ds, I had the ds on veterans day and I'm almost at goal, no diet, no food restriction, no problems with nsaid, no grief, 
Butterfly618
on 5/30/11 1:04 pm - NJ

Kimi

Just wanted to post a hi and I am here for you.  Love seeing your beautiful smiling face.  Miss you much 

"SUCCESS IS A LIFESTYLE, NOT A DIET"
Please visit my OH  Support group:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/allinthemind/welcome/

Where you will find helpful strategies to achieve you goals

Highest 325.7lbs Surgery 295lbs Current 244lbs 

bubblesrn
on 5/30/11 10:47 pm
Hi Kimi.  I think that it's great that you and Dr. Abkin have discussed your options.  I work with him and see some of his patients at the hospital that I work at and I think that whatever revision you choose, you will be in great hands.  If you talk to Nino in their office, he may be able to network with other revision patients of theirs and maybe you can talk to them about their experiences.  Good luck to you and wishing you the best.

Take care,
Janice

all the weight has been lost post-op..I LOVE MY BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highest weight: 333 pounds (I know I gained after my last "weigh in" in the doctors office so probably it's more like 340 pounds)
current weight: 151 pounds (7/12/11)
I've been at goal (165 pounds) for 6 months now and now on maintence.  I tend to go up and down depending on time of the month and such! 

iangelbaby88
on 5/31/11 3:41 pm - Bayonne, NJ
I JUST went through this whole ordeal!! I was having severe reflux and couldnt eat much of anything.  Turns out my band slipped and had to be removed on Dec 6, 2010. After healing from the removal I chose to have the Rny on April 27, 2011. I am happy with this surgery but kicking myself in the rear for not doing it a long time ago.

It took awhile for me to make my decision. I had lots of people telling me what happend to a "friend" of theirs when they had their gastrics done. It took a lot of soul searching but I feel its the best decision I have made in a long time. If you need someone to chat with about this feel free to contact me.

(((HUGS))) and I hope all goes well
Eileen...
knailnhair
on 5/31/11 10:25 pm - Milford, NJ
On May 31, 2011 at 10:41 PM Pacific Time, iangelbaby88 wrote:
I JUST went through this whole ordeal!! I was having severe reflux and couldnt eat much of anything.  Turns out my band slipped and had to be removed on Dec 6, 2010. After healing from the removal I chose to have the Rny on April 27, 2011. I am happy with this surgery but kicking myself in the rear for not doing it a long time ago.

It took awhile for me to make my decision. I had lots of people telling me what happend to a "friend" of theirs when they had their gastrics done. It took a lot of soul searching but I feel its the best decision I have made in a long time. If you need someone to chat with about this feel free to contact me.

(((HUGS))) and I hope all goes well
Eileen...
Thank you so much for reaching out Eileen!! How is everything going for you? Did you have any "favorites" during your liquids/soft food stages? How was the healing process for you?

I, too, have alot of friends who tell me about their friends who didn't do well with the bypass. Unreal!!!

Good luck with your journey!!!
Kimi

Kimi

iangelbaby88
on 6/1/11 5:33 am - Bayonne, NJ
Everything is going good for me. I'm not sure how much I lost yet because I havent had my 1 month follow up yet =-( . Some of my favorites during liquids were sugar free Icepops they saved my sanity lol. As for soft food which i am still on I have been eating Kaboucha Squash (kinda like butternut squash on steriods), talapia and greenbeans.  The healing process was a little rough but that was because I live alone and am stubborn lol.

As for the people saying what their "friends" went through I finally had it and told them to stop comparing me to others. If they didnt like it they didnt have to be around me.  They finally stopped their nonsense and have been very supportive

Hope all is well,
Eileen
Most Active
Recent Topics