Are Carbs More Addictive than Cocaine?

Nannette
on 5/18/11 12:18 am - Toms River, NJ

Nannette
Lap RNY 6/16/03
Revise to DS 8/15/11

Tom C.
on 5/18/11 1:35 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
I feel there is a big difference between "natural" carbohydrates (fruits & Vegetables) vs. "refined" carbs (sweets; breads/pasta, etc). Same as there is a difference between "natural" sugar (found in dairy; fruits, etc) and "refined" sugar (cakes, cookies, well you name it ).

My Nutritionists states we need a "little" carb, sugars, fats in our system, just make sure they are the "best choice".
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
checkitout
on 5/18/11 9:29 am - Newton, NJ
I read this when it came out in March and I do believe that carbs are addicting BUT I am with TOm, I need some carbs or my body gets cranky and so do I !!

I do choose to limit my carbs to only things that are low glycemic, high fiber, fruit based or whole grain. Some examples would be oats (steel cut are my fav) quonioa, apples and berries but I tend to stay away from things like potatoes, pasta, rice, carrots and watermelon. I will also say that I am a dumper so if I ate potatoes in any type of quantity (I can taste something while cooking or have one bite) I will be ill in short order.. so I stay far and fast away but it is also a good way for me to stay closer to my goal weight.

I so wish I could shed the last 7 or 8 lbs but I am having issue with them... I can't complain cause I have come so far but I will keep trying.

Thanks for sharing..

Stella
Sheri A.
on 5/31/11 8:26 pm
I read the article a few weeks ago and shared it with my support group. I believe that carbs are very dangerous to many people. What I did recently learn was that diabetics are more susceptible to weight gain from "good" carbs and must eliminate them totally. I am one of the few whose diabetes remained active after RNY in 2006. When my blood sugar levels (A1C) increased I was put on a small dose of insulin. This insulin was enough to convince my brain that my body wanted and craved carbs. So I started eating healthy carbs, oatmeal, quinoa, whole grain pasta, brown rice, kashi granola bars, sf pudding, 100 cal popcorn....etc. What I discovered was that it was too much and my A1C, despite a rigourous excercise program and active life style, was at 7.2, not a good level! Doctor halved my insulin and put me on a new med for diabetes that takes away the voice in the head begging for carbs...I'm 3 weeks out and the meds are working great, weight is coming off (just need to lose a few lbs) and my blood sugars are very very low!
If you were a diabetic or still are, be very very careful about the carbs. Most good carbs are not good for diabetics!
Most Active
Recent Topics