Support Groups are a MUST

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/11 10:38 pm
 I went to my first support group meeting last night.  Life changing isn't even close to a valid description.  

To all newcomers GO TO YOUR SUPPORT GROUP!  

I'm at the final stages of prepping for my surgery.  I've browsed, posted, and made friends with tons of people on this website.  I've blogged and made a few buddies.  I've talked endlessly with family, friends and doctors.  But NOTHING has compared to the group.  

I had to giggle last night because looking at all the before pictures that everyone carries on them made the meeting feel like OH.com but in 3D.  

I didn't learn anything new per say.  But I gained immensely.  I gained confidence in my decision. I gained some new acquaintances. I gained support.  But mostly I gained insight.  Insight into a life I am so anxious to be a part of and am within reach.  

I will for-warn you, bring tissues.  It is emotional.  I cried during and after.  A woman stood up and shared her story and every little thought I've been thinking and every emotion I've been feeling she spoke about.  It was calming and reassuring to hear that someone else understood.  Someone else felt what I was feeling.  They were passionate about the DS for the same reasons I am.  I couldn't have found this anywhere else.  Sure I can talk to people on the forums and they, I'm sure, feel the same way.  But there's something about being inches away from a person and hearing all they have to say. 

The passion the veterans have and the insight they provide is amazing.  Please don't short change yoursel*****o your meetings and go often.  My meetings are once a month and they only last an hour and a half.  I'm sure anyone can manage that.  

Stop making excuses and go!

Tom C.
on 4/5/11 12:00 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

I am in 100% agreement - PARTICIPATE IN A SUPPORT GROUP!!! It is a fact that those who attend supports groups have increased weight loss long term!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Joianne, I love to see that you also talking about GAINS!! While we obsess over the loss, it’s the GAINS that’s really important. And you listed so many!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
marl16
on 4/6/11 7:19 am - NJ
Joianne, which group did you go to?  It sounds great!

Most Active
Recent Topics