pre-surgery diet

looking4hope
on 4/2/11 10:29 am
I posted this in the regular lap band forum but thought I would ask here. I want to lose 17 pounds before my surgery on June 17. What did you do to lose weight pre-surgery?
Tom C.
on 4/3/11 4:48 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

I can't really answer this because I didn't have to do anything (my Doctor didn't require this).

Just wanted to say GOOD LUCK on your choice. Can't wait to see you on the LOSER'S BENCH in our WINNER'S CIRCLE!!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
looking4hope
on 4/3/11 5:05 am
Thanks! My doctor isn't requiring it but I wanted to try to drop some before.
hockeymom8016
on 4/3/11 10:23 pm - NJ
I used the same practice as Tom and did not have to do a pre-op diet. However, I did lose some weight by eating protein first and pushing my plate away when I was full. I lost about 30 pounds doing this.  

checkitout
on 4/4/11 12:08 pm - Newton, NJ
Dr. Bertha did not ask me to lose anything before surgery but I wanted to and I was on my 6 month supervised diet so I did try...

I started making sure I ate 3 real meals a day (not junk food) I got rid of soda, sugar and white foods and started cutting my portions down. I had a high weight of 330 and was 309 on surgery day. So it worked for me, good luck on your upcoming surgery.

Stella
sun_shyne39
on 4/20/11 5:50 am - NJ
My dr. requires a two week pre-op diet that consists of protein shakes and bars.  You are allowed up to 5 per day.  The shakes/bars are no more than 160 calories each - so that's between 750-800 calories daily....how can you not lose weight on that?!?!  I actually begin my pre op diet this coming Monday and my surgery is on May 9th.
sun_shyne39      
big_ideas
on 4/20/11 1:36 pm, edited 4/20/11 1:36 pm - Randolph, NJ
I also did not have any required diet prior to surgery, but I've found the following really has helped since surgery.

Try cutting out starchy and processed carbs: pasta, rice, potatoes, bread and sugar. Eliminate fried foods and sugary drinks. Drink water, eat protein,cheese, nuts, vegetables and fruit. Be careful about eating too much artificial sweeteners. Eat food, not food-like products.

And try to work a little more activity into your life, even if it means just parking further away from wherever you are going to get yourself to walk a bit more. Or get off the elevator one floor early and take the stairs one flight.

Good luck.

looking4hope
on 4/22/11 12:39 pm
Thanks! I am down about 4 pounds and 13 to go before june 17. I know the doc gives a two week pre-op diet. I just want to get a head start. I am head back to the gym on Tuesday. My goal is three days next week and the following week and 5 days a week after that. I wanted to get back there a few weeks ago but that didn't happen.
Tom C.
on 4/22/11 8:37 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

CONGRATS on the weight loss. Keep it going. June 17th will be here before you know it :D

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active
Recent Topics