I can't find anyone to do a Psych Eval!

wannablite
on 4/2/11 11:12 pm - Southern, NJ
 I used Dr. Sanders myself and he is very nice, BUT I happen to be a very quiet person and he took that as being very laid back and non caring of myself. This is so not true! I am quite the opposite. This held up my insurance approval and I had to go back and show him how passionate I am about having my surgery. Good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/11 2:43 am
 Thanks for the tip.  I am scared I'm going to fail the pysch eval.  Mostly because so far this is a dream come true and everything is going so right that I'm waiting for something to go wrong.  

-Joianne
Tom C.
on 4/3/11 6:19 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Joianne,

it's not like the test is a written one which you need to study for ;D. What they really are looking for is to see if you truly understand what you're in for, what you can and cannot expect from the tool, and WHY you're doing this - then you'll be ok.

If your 800 pounds and expect to be 100 pounds within 1 year so you can be a swim suit model and still be able to eat cookies and cake .. then, yeah you're probably fail. But if you're 300 pounds and want to lose at least 80 pounds just to be off your meds, and you don't care it takes 5 years and know it will take diet and excercise then you'll pass. Understand ?!?!?!? I hope I explained myself.

I know you'll pass and do well. Just be positive
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
DrMichaelSakowitz
on 4/3/11 9:45 am
http://www.laparosurgery.com/psychiatric-evaluation.aspx

Hi Joianne,

If you click on the above address you will have access to several articles that I wrote for OH Magazine. One of them "I'm fat not crazy" will give you information about the psych eval.

I hope it is of help.

Dr Mike
Michael L. Sakowitz, Ph.D. is a psychologist (NJ 35SI00148700) and member of ObesityHelp's Mental Health Board.  By posting, he makes no promises, guarantees, representations, or warranties, expressed or implied, and assumes no duty or liability with regard to the information contained herein.  This post is not intended to diagnose or treat any physical or mental condition.  No professional services are being rendered and nothing is intended to provide such services or advice of any kind.  No website or informational post can take the place of seeking professional help.  If you need professional help of any kind, please seek the services of a professional or dial 911.
(deactivated member)
on 4/4/11 9:49 pm
 Thank you Dr Sakowitz.  :)  I'm reading now.  
(deactivated member)
on 4/4/11 9:48 pm
 You explained yourself fine :)  Thank you for your insight too.

I'm not so scared of the pass/fail thing as I'm scared of the "this is all going to easy and the ball is about to drop" thing.  I have had no real hurdles so far.  So With each new test or appointment I get paraniod that this will be the one that ends it all.

Tom C.
on 4/4/11 10:16 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Joianne,

All throughout my life I plan/expect for the worst. This way if it occurs, I am not taken by surprise. And if it doesn’t occur, then I pleasing surprised.

Plan for hitting a bump (or two or 3 or 50) in the road before the operation and life afterwards. Think of it as being inevitable. Now it occurs, you’ll be in better shape to react. If not, then it’s all gravy….errrr… PROTEIN DRINK!! A war is won with a great battle strategy.

No matter what, know you have a family who will support you. Not only biological, but bariatric!!

Final advice, strap yourself in and be prepared for the Weight Loss Rollercoaster ride!!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active
Recent Topics