disability

Fancy4684
on 3/7/11 12:07 pm
 hey guys ! 
I am getting closer to having a surgery date and I was just wonder how does disability work ? Do I have to tell my employer what I am having done ? I might me more nervous having to tell my employer that I am having weight loss surgery that I am about having the surgery lol ?? How was all of your experiences with your employers ??

Thanks 

Tom C.
on 3/7/11 6:15 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

I fully sympathize why many keep their decision secretive, I’ve always been very vocal about my choice (before and after). I would recommend telling at least one person at work, just in case something should happen. You wouldn’t want folks to panic even more, thinking this came out of no where. Also many medical folks have either little or no idea about bariatric surgery. If the ambulance folks come, you don’t want to mistreat you and give you medication you may not need because they have no idea what is going on.

Of course everyone heals at different rates. MY experience, I could have gone back to work in 3 days. I took two full weeks, and the third week I went in a few hours at a time until I could do a complete 8 hours (I did 2 hours increments each day).

My Advice, If you can afford it - I suggest that everyone take at least two weeks - and here's why

(1) in case something happens, you will be home and hopefully someone around you will know what to do and/or who to contact. At work, most people are ignorant with any type of surgery aftercare. I’ve know some medical professionals who are ignorant to bariatric procedures and/or aftercare. And some folks want to keep their decision a secret. So if, GOD FORBID, those folks collapse at work – who’s gonna know what’s going on?

(2) It takes that long, sometime longer, for the body to recover and dispel the anesthesia.

(3) MOST IMPORTANTLY: you need to get into a rhythm of what to eat/drink, and when. If you’re like me, you probably never ate breakfast or lunch; drank lots of coffee; had “snack" here or there, came home and ate big, blah-blah-blah. Well, now you will need to get onto a schedule of when to have your breakfast, then protein drink, then lunch, then protein drink, then dinner AND getting your recommended amount of non-carbonated/caffeine free liquids; and not drinking before/during/after meals. It’s a lot to get used to – and try compounding WORK along with it. JEEZE !!  

IMHO TAKE TWO WEEKS to get used to all this, then “add" work back into the schedule. The taking in liquids is really important, especially starting off. TO THIS DAY, I set up a recurring OUTLOOK CALENDAR reminder to “drink" – each time that reminder goes off, I “snooze it" for 10 minutes and when it pops up again I know it’s time to sip some non-carbonated/caffeine free liquids. This way it keeps me hydrated during the day, and I know by the end of work I have met, or come very close to meeting, my daily requirement of non-carbonated/caffeine free liquids

So if you have vacation time coming to you, then take it. If you don’t, and want to spread it over a “long weekend" – then do that too. But if you think you’re the type of person who can go back to work after a few days, then choose that.

Only you know you ;D !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Fancy4684
on 3/7/11 11:28 pm
 thanks ! ive told the people in my family and personal life and I plan on taking atleast a week off of work . I just started this job last july and im not sure how all the disability and time off works. I guess ill just have to get over it lol. I mean honestly what are people gonna think once I start losing the weight lol I guess its a good problem to have . 
walter A.
on 3/18/11 12:07 pm - lafayette, NJ
you havent listed what surgery you are haveing,  but your employer need not know about it, except that you are out sick, you may qualify for fmla, which is 60 days of leave, and also state disability if your employer doesnt provide sick time. contack your njemployment office on line for details.  it should also be posted near a time clock or scheadule board if you have one at work.  state mandate, you pay for this with taxes.
 I was in the hospital for a week, and didnt eat or drink for 2 weeks, and wouldnt of gone to work b4 week 4 in any case.
Most Active
Recent Topics