My success (so far) with the Realize Band.

Tom C.
on 2/15/11 5:36 pm, edited 2/15/11 8:51 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Some have posted their disappointment and/or dissatisfaction with their band. While I understand and sympathize with their frustration and/or disappointment, I am afraid they are only giving one side of the story. Someone who is deciding about the band may be scared off because of these people unfortunate experiences/results. I would like to give a different view.

I do acknowledge, there are folks who get the band, and it does not work for various reasons. The truth is, the band is not for everyone. However not everyone who is a band patient has bad experiences and/or results. There are many of us who are successful, and/or satisfied with their results and/or decision.

My History:

In the summer of 2007, after years of failed diets and ever-increasing weight, my family Doctor said that I really should think about doing something surgically. She stated I was young and healthy enough to do it NOW, but who knows what the next year, or two, may bring. She also stated if I didn’t do something, there was no guarantee I would be around for the next 3 years. That’s when I decided to seriously consider weight loss surgery.

For about 4 years prior, I casually looked into Weight Loss Surgery. I was under the common misconception doing this would be the “easy way out" (boy was I wrong). I also felt that choosing Weight Loss Surgery would be a last resort. With the possibility of DEATH being a reality, it finally WAS.

After vigorously on-line researching, and attending various seminars and speaking to people who had different operations, I met with Doctor Alexander Abkin to discuss my choice and goals. I told him that I wanted a band operation, and my ultimate weight goal would be 220 pounds. Doctor Abkin told me, while it is possible to obtain my goal, I would need to understand that doing it with the band would require a lot of work and determination. In order to be successful I would need to diligent; follow the guidelines set up by the Doctors and Nutritionists, and DO what was expected FROM ME. The band would help, but it would be up to me to watch what I ate. I needed to be accountable for what I put in my mouth. I also had to be committed to do exercises. At the end of the day, it’s still calories in/calories out.

So just over 3 years ago, a 435-pound man was wheeled into an operating room to have his life altering procedure. In the extremely capable hands of Doctor Abkin, the Realize band operation took approximately 45 minutes. Who would have known the old Tom Casola would have died on the table, and a new Tom Casola would be born.

In the beginning, my weight loss was called remarkable. On my two week review I lost 17 pounds. On my one-month review, I lost an additional 30 pounds, for a total of 47 pounds. On my three-month review, I lost an additional 28 pounds. On May 21, I lost another 5+ pound. On the July 11 weigh-in, I lost a total of 100 pounds. On February 28 (2009 – one year – one month), I lost a total of 150 pounds.  On November 13 (2009) I was 250 pounds, which made my total weight lost is 185 pounds. On January 29, 2010 (my 2 year BAND-iversary) I was down another 5 pounds for a grand total of 190 pounds. I was 245 pounds, and I was elated.

CURRENTLY:

For the entire 2010 year, I fluctuated between 245 and 250 pounds, and could never get below the 245-pound mark. While I was happy that I was no longer 435 pounds, I was somewhat sadden that I couldn’t lose any more weight, nor was I closer to my ultimate 220 goal. Then between Thanksgiving and New Year I gained weight. I am unsure how much, but my “once baggy" pants were now “tight" and I had slight difficulty buttoning them. I did a personal review how I behaved during the past year, and did a personal inventory what I was doing in regards to eating and exercising. That is when I realized I needed to stop what I was doing; become refocused and accountable, and go back to the BASICS. I needed to do what made me successful. Therefore, on January 3rd 2011, I made a vow to not only go back to the Basics, but to do everything I could to make 2011 the year I get to, at least, 232 pounds. The reason I chose 232 as a new immediate goal is because my BMI moves from OBESE to OVERWEIGHT!! Most people would find it strange anyone would want to be labeled OVERWEIGHT, but when you’re first label was SUPER-MORBIDLY OBESE – Overweight is a great label to achieve. 

I pretended I just had the operation and did the “liquid" phase for two weeks. Then I moved onto the “soft food" stage for two weeks. On Jan 28, 2011 (one day prior to my 3 year Bandiversary) I was down to 240 3/4 pounds. I was beside myself. Not only did I lose any weight I gained, but I was below the 245 barrier, and I was almost at the 230’s doorstep. I was even more determined that I would be 232 by the end of 2011. On Thursday February 3rd, I weighed myself again (I usually weigh myself once a month, but did it since I thought the 240 reading had to be wrong) and the scale read 238 on the button. I was walking on air!! I was officially in the 230’s. I was 3 pounds away from losing 200 pounds, and 6 pounds shy of my current immediate 232 goal. In addition, now the 220 ultimate goal doesn’t seem so far out of reach. As of February 15th, I am 234 1/2 pounds. I have lost just over 200 pound in about 3 years. And only 2 more pounds until I am overweight!!

MY VIEWPOINT

I am not going to lie, it’s not easy. Every day I need to work at this. Everyday I wake up in fear, thinking this is the day “the other shoe will drop", and I will start regaining. Some would think this is a terrible feeling, but I don’t. I take this feeling and embrace it. It keeps me focused and honest. In order to remain successful I need to be diligent in not only my food choices, but also exercising. Another sad truth, one needs to exercise in order to lose weight. They may not need to exercise not right away, since the surgery will allow you to lose, but once the lost slows or stops, one NEEDS to do this. Mind you, this comes from the person who hated exercising their entire life. But this past year I realized I will not lose all the weight I wanted without exercising. So I took up running. Again this comes from the man who wouldn’t run to the bathroom during an emergency, and would “let the chips lie where they fell". I followed the Couch to 5K program, and ran my first 5K Thanksgiving morning. My next goal is to run a 10K,, which is March 20th. My ultimate goal is to run a marathon. Like my ultimate weight loss goal, for me it doesn’t matter if I actually obtain the goal. What is important is that I have a goal, and try hard to obtain it.

Many have quoted articles and/or periodicals that denote the high rate of band failure, compared to other surgeries. I am always suspicious when folks find “facts and/or statistics" that reinforces their view. As the famous scholar Homer Simpson once said “Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that". It’s not that I doubt the presented facts, but I question “who did the study, and what was their motive for the study?"

Some participants or authors have skewed their findings. Many Doctors, and or researchers, have ulterior motives for their studies. Some are compensated by specific manufactures/companies; some have personal biases against a procedure, and then there are those who actually try to report unbiased/truthful facts. There are times when quoted articles’ findings are old and/or out-of-date. Also sometimes researchers either use a SPECIFIC group of people to study, and/or discard data/results that don’t bolster their hypostasis. Additionally, there are people who are very secretive about their decision, and refuse to participate in studies – even if they have been successful.

The band, like any of these procedures, is only a tool and cannot do all the work. The band does not control head hunger. The band does not control emotional eating. The band does not control eating the wrong foods. The band does not control portion sizes. The band does not control food purchases. One needs to be responsible for themselves and their actions, and use self-control at times.

The band is not unlike any other Bariatric procedure. The same rules apply to all Bariatric procedures. In my 3 years I have met band, bypass, DS, sleeve, etc patients how HAVE been SUCCESSFUL, and those who haven’t. In fact, three people within my family had the bypass. One had the operation about 7 years ago and has lost all the weight.  While they make “look good", they constantly “dump". As a result, they have been in great agony that they are on so many medications they are addicted to the drugs and are constantly in a “zombie" state. Another person, who had the operation about 8 years ago, has gained all their weight back, plus more. Finally, one, who had the operation about 10 years ago, just recently passed because of a transfer addiction. Even with these failures, and others failures I know of, I would never tell someone NOT to get a bypass because of these cases. I know each person is different, and each person’s outcome will be different.

Many say I have been “lucky" with my band results, and not typical. While this may be true, I can admit that I know many banded siblings who have been just as, if not more, successful than I. I have also met many who have not.

The reasons folks fail on any of these operations are numerous. Some of the reason are: some folks don’t follow the rules; others follow only SOME of the rules; some follow the rules SOME OF THE TIME, some don’t follow-up with their Doctors/Nutritionists; some don’t attend support groups; some have false expectation what the procedure is suppose to do (compare to what is expected by them), and then there are those who do everything that is expected, and still don’t lose. If you’re planning on having the band, you may need to do some soul searching and recognize the type of eater you are; what you expect the band to do, and what you are willing to do to be successful. This DOES take WORK on YOUR PART!!

SUMMARY:

I didn’t write this post to argue, belittle or refute those who have either failed, or have trouble, with their band decision. As acknowledged, I admit the band is not for everyone, and may not work for one and all. This post is for those who are considering the band, and after reading all the negative posts thinks the band will definitely fail. I wanted to give you another point of view, and ensure you that is not the case. I cannot tell you if this procedure will or will not work for you, or you will get similar results as I did, all I am doing is giving my side of this procedure.

In closing, try to remember the band does work for many people. If it didn’t, Surgeons wouldn’t be performing it, and the F.D.A. wouldn’t have approved it. In fact, F.D.A. has approved a study to see the results of the band for those with a BMI less than 35.

Good luck on your decision. Know, not matter what procedure you decide, I will be here for you.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
maryc543
on 2/16/11 5:14 am
Tom,  congratulations on your achievement!!!  You have worked your surgery so well....  and deserve to get rid of every pound you've lost!  Thanks for being a constant source of encouragement on here, and the organizer for our fantastic IGT dinners....  Congrats and thanks!  Mary C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

deborah N.
on 2/16/11 5:57 am - Bellmore, NY
 wow!! thank so  much for sharing!! i think i am going to also go back to basic! and try what u did the liqiuid for  2 weeks and so on
i feeel like i cant get past my stall and that was 3  months ago.. i still cant lose anything.... but reading this made me feel like there is hope thanks :) 

Pregnancy%20ticker

Most Active
Recent Topics