Dr. Michael Nusbaum, Livingston

kellycares
on 1/29/11 2:53 am
 Hi All,
I am new to the forum. I am scheduled for my banding surgery in late Feb. with Dr. Michael Nusbaum. I was recommended to him by a friend whose surgery he did a few years ago. I met with him and liked him, but he kept checking the time--like he had to leave my appointment. i had the same experience with the nutritionist--I did not stay that long with either of them (maybe 30- 40 minutes each for the first appointment). This made nervous. if they rush through my appointments, will they rush through my surgery? 
Dr. Nusbaum seems to have good credentials and he certainly is a good salesman. I am very nervous about medical problems post-surgery and about whether he will be responsive once the surgery is done. 
Can those of you who have had banding surgery with him tell me about your experiences? i really appreciate at and, if you can't tell by my post, I am nervous about the surgery.
Thanks.
big_ideas
on 1/30/11 8:49 pm - Randolph, NJ
I have heard great things about him. Try to talk to some of his other patients and see what their feelings are. There are certainly many surgeons around if you are having reservations. Keep doing your research.

There is a member here who used him and loves him. I'm going to send him an email and ask him to reach out to you. I'm not sure how often he checks these boards so I'll tell him to come find you.

Keep in mind, too, that bedside manner isn't always the best measure of a good surgeon. Although it does make a difference for this type of surgery, since you will need to maintain a relationship with the surgeon and support staff far into the future!

Good luck on your decision.

kellycares
on 1/30/11 11:08 pm
 Thank you!
Ynot formerly Tony
on 1/30/11 10:04 pm
Hey Kelly,
May will be 5 years since I had Roux n y gastric by pass surgery with Dr. Nussbaum at St. Barnabus in Livingston....I think he now also works out of Morristown Memorial. I think he is a God in the medical field. His staff is also wonderful. Wanda helped me through the process and it went a lot smoother then anticipated. He treated me like a human being, friend then patient. I still see him from time to time. As you will when you attend support group meetings etc.
His nutrionist Karla is wonderful she has monthly meetings to talk about all types of health and eating questions.
I lost over 300 lbs and had two plastic surgeries with Dr. Lalla and he is a wonderful doctor along with his wife Gina that is a nurse and runs his practice for him.
I can't say enough wonderful things about both doctors only.....anyone that would need their assistance would be lucky enough to get an appointment with them. They are both truly caring, knowledgable, great doctors with great follow up care.
Hope this helps you calm any questions or fears you may have....if you are under Dr. Nussbaum's guidance....its just as good as it can be.
Ynot formerly Tony :)
kellycares
on 1/30/11 11:10 pm
 I really appreciate your comments. it is nerve-wracking doing surgery so I am so happy to hear that you had a great experience with him. Congratulations on your phenomenal results and your hard work! 
Thank you,
Kelly

KarlaR
on 1/31/11 2:06 am
Hi kellycares,

I am the dietitian you saw in Dr. Nusbaum's office.  I apologize if the Doctor or I did not make you feel comfortable and made you feel rushed.  Please feel free to make a follow-up appointment with Dr, Nusbaum or myself.  We want to help answer any questions you have about your surgery and your follow-up schedule.  We want you to feel completely comfortable as we want you to have the success that we know is possible with the band.  Surgery can be intimidating but Dr. Nusbaum is an excellent surgeon, I want you to have the utmost confidence in him and his team.  Please feel free to call or come in to the office to feel more at ease, and answer any questions you may have. 
checkitout
on 1/31/11 11:56 am - Newton, NJ
Kelly,

I am glad you posted, the people here are great! Please let me know if you need anything..

I am glad we got to chat on Saturday, really call anytime..

Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Stella

Sheri A.
on 2/3/11 11:11 am
I know Dr. N has a great reputation. The band surgery only takes about an hour. It is not a complicated surgery, your intestines are not cut and re-routed, most surgeons are skilled enough to do banding. My advice is to do your homework about banding. I had RNY in '06 and have been a support group leader for 4 years. I have found more weight loss success with people who have had RNY vs. band. It's a personal decision and it depends on your eating habits and making permanent lifestyle changes. I strongly urge you to attend support groups before and after surgery. You are welcome to attend First Saturday Support of Union County...we meet the first Saturday of each month. Email: firstsaturdaysupport@gmail for more information.
kellycares
on 2/3/11 12:07 pm
 Hi Sheri,
I know the RNY has better results but I have 50 lbs to lose. I don't qualify for the RNY. Where do you hold your support group meetings? I live in Short Hills. Is there one near me that you know of?
Thanks for reaching out.
Kelly
Sheri A.
on 2/3/11 7:00 pm
We meet in Scotch Plains, on the Clark border. I work in Springfield, it's not far at all. It's probably 20-25 min with no traffic. If you want to join us the address of the gym is 2120 Lamberts Mill Rd., Scotch Plains. We meet in the back conference room. Get there early because there's a super bowl event taking place and parking will be difficult! We start at 10:30 and finish at noon.
Most Active
Recent Topics