Plastic Surgery & Horizon NJ Blue Cross coverage

phillyrose
on 1/9/11 7:04 pm - Gilbertsville, PA
Good Morning!

One of my to do list items for 2011 is to research plastic surgery.  Did your Horizon NJ Blue Cross cover any portion?  I am aware that it is covered under reconstructive therefore certain
conditions must be met. 

What was your experience? 

Thanks in advance for any input,

PS

cathiec
on 1/9/11 8:34 pm - Toms River, NJ
I had blbsnj number of years ago before wls they did cover my breast redeuction due to medical necceisties I had to have it shown by my dr that I had to have it, My drs took pictures of my breast because I had bisters and infections underneath them and NO Medication would work to clear them up. Now when I go to to the dr I have them write down the rashes I get from hanging skin and the mdication  they give me to clear it up. I now have Medicare so I don't know there requirements.
Good Luck
Cathie 

checkitout
on 1/10/11 12:07 pm - Newton, NJ
I just had a LBL on 12/30 and had pre-approval for a portion of the surgery. A LBL is considered partially cosmetic so I will end up paying for about 2/3 of the Dr's fee when it is all said and done. I could have had just a pannius removal and it would have more than likely been covered 100% but I would not have been happy with the long term results..

Here is what I did, I called the insurance company and asked what my policy covered. I made them send it to me in writing and I took the name and operator number of who I spoke to, keeping detailed notes. It really depends on your plan if you will be covered, the plan that I had available to me at my work stated it did not cover skin removal "regardless of need".. The plan my husband had available said it had to be medically needed. I had to document skin conditions, my pannius needed to extend below my pubic area and they wanted pictures (that was the worst part) but I was able to get approval and am very happy with my results.

Good luck, I hope you plan is a good one and does not exclude.

Stella
phillyrose
on 1/10/11 7:58 pm - Gilbertsville, PA

Thanks Cathie & Stella!

checkitout
on 1/11/11 12:27 pm - Newton, NJ
No problem, good luck ! 

I actually had to rush my LBL thru for 2010 since in early November we found out that my husband's ins was changing and the new plan had a ton of hoops to jump thru to get approval so I pushed (along with the people at the plastic's office) and we got approval on 12/17 and I had surgery on 12/30 so it was a mad rush for approval and booking surgery.

I guess the moral to that story is look into it sooner than later incase you have hoops to jump thru.

I used Dr. Fodero in Florham Park, he has been awesome..  

Stella
TV2Night
on 1/12/11 12:07 pm - Hackettstown, NJ
I have blue cross Blue Shield and it did not cover any of my plastic surgery.  I was fortunate to have lost 110 pounds with my gastric bypass, but did not have any skin irritations or breakdowns of any kind.  I still felt it was the last phase of my journey to have the excess skin removed so I went for it.  I used Dr. Joseph Fodero as well and he is an awesome surgeon and a really great guy.  He has a beautiful new office and surgical center in Florham Park NJ, but I had my surgery with him at Morristown Memorial.  His staff is really great and extremely helpful.  I would highly recommend him to anyone looking to "finish the journey!"

They have financing available and he stands by his work.  Plastics is really body art and he is a great sculptor!

Pat
checkitout
on 1/14/11 11:46 am - Newton, NJ
Hi Pat,

You told me he was great and you were right, he has been awesome. His office is beautiful and his staff is so nice, all the girls are so sweet ~ they really make you feel comfortable even when you are having difficult things done (like the lovely pre-op pictures). So, Pat thank you. I had completely forgotten who it was who had told me he was great. 

I had my surgery two weeks ago (on 12/30) so today I went in for a post op visit and I had to have 600 cc's of fluid drained but I feel much better now that it is gone. I am looking forward to having the swelling gone and getting back to normal.

Have a great weekend, sorry for hijacking the post but I had to say thank you to Pat.

Stella

Most Active
Recent Topics