Plastic surgeon or regular surgeon?

Barbi M.
on 12/10/10 4:54 am - Maplewood, NJ

At my 14 month post op appointment, my gastric surgeon offered a panniculectomy at his cost of $5000.  My "apron" is a type 1 so my insurance will not cover it.  However, a hernia repair along with the panniculectomy was the option.  Has anyone had a panniculectomy verses the tummy tuck a plastic surgeon performs?  Just hoping from some info to help make my decision.  Thanks for your support and advice in yet another step in the journey of WLS. 

Alice P.
on 12/10/10 9:22 am
Definitely at least speak to a plastic surgeon--we had one speak at a support group meeting and if my memory is correct a panniculectomy will remove the excess skin, a tummy tuck will remove the excess skin, tighten the muscle and include re shaping/contouring.
 HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

big_ideas
on 12/11/10 5:42 am - Randolph, NJ
Sorry, Barbi, I haven't done enough research to offer any advice or info.

I just want to tell you your avatar is GORGEOUS and I hope you are feeling well.

It was SO good to see you last week. Please lets try to get together when your schedule permits.

checkitout
on 12/20/10 1:15 pm - Newton, NJ
Go see the plastic surgeon just to see what he/she has to say, it is worth the consult. I was able to get insurance approval and I am having a LBL on the 30th of this month. The insurance does not cover all but it is going to cover some of the Surgeon's fee and all of the hospital and pre-op testing... 

I had wanted (or thought I wanted) just a panniculectomy but found out I really would not have been thrilled with the results (he showed me pics) so it is worth the money to have what I want not just what I thought I wanted.

Good luck!
Stella
Barbi M.
on 12/21/10 3:06 am - Maplewood, NJ
thank you for your information.  What is an LBL and how did the insurance cover it?
Kim R.
on 12/28/10 9:11 am - Hillsdale, NJ
 Maybe Lower Body Lift? 

Who are your plastic surgeons? I'm not ready yet because I still have more weight to lose, but this is definitely something in my future. I can't stand my apron, definitely need breast augmentation too and perhaps more. My back/shoulder pain is horrendous too.

~ Kim
309/183.5/135

A strong woman is one who feels deeply and loves fiercely. Her tears flow just as abundantly as her laughter. A strong woman is both soft and powerful. She is both practical and spiritual. A strong woman in her essence is a gift to all the world.

adam_
on 12/31/10 7:13 am - Boynton Beach, FL
Check out Dr. Capella....I had a tummy tuck and scar revision done at the same time of my hernia repair and it was less than $5k out of pocket....of course it all depends on your insurance and what needs to be done so your price may vary, but he specializes in post bariatric surgery...his father is a bariatric surgeon....

He does great work and is very reasonable...

http://www.capellaplasticsurgery.net/index.htm

-Adam - 6'6" - From 450 lbs to GOAL in 9 months...
Phase 1: Completed 10/2008.
Phase 2: Weightlifting - Goal: Add 40 lbs of muscle. Completed 2/15/2011.
Phas 3: Cut to 10% body fat.
MY STORY:  imthebiggestloser.blogspot.com/

Most Active
Recent Topics