Has anyone ever????????

Luvmy3dobermans
on 11/18/10 11:55 am - NJ
Has anyone ever had a distorted view of themselves before they had their surgery?  This is the second time.  I went shopping today at Lane Bryant, where I can normally find things (who cant??) there.  Well anyway, as soon as I see myself in the mirror all I saw was this big blob.  I didnt understand how anyone could find me attractive and beautiful.  I was so disgusted.  I just couldnt justify spending anymoney on myself.  But as soon as I got home and spent time with my dogs (see my member name, lol) I felt better.  I guess I just have to stay out of the clothing stores until I start loosing the weight.  The only two things left I have to get done are the pulmonary consult and the psych consult and those are scheduled the Monday and Tuesday after Thanksgiving.  I have good insurance so I wonder how much longer I will have to wait?? Any comments or help? Thanks!!
Tom C.
on 11/18/10 9:05 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Been there – done that – still there.

For me my MAJOR distortion was I always saw myself as the 275 pound guy I thought was considered fat – even at 435. Whenever a extremely large person walked into a room – I would ask my friends “AM I AS BIG AS THAT PERSON" – and they would all say “Noooooooooooooooooooooo". And I was relieved. Little did I realize they were actually saying “Noooooooooooooooooo – you’re much bigger".

To this day, when I look at pictures prior to my operation and compare to now – I don’t see much of a difference. Whenever someone tells me “you look great" I always reply “thanks for lying" – because I still don’t see anything other than that 275 pound guy.

However that doesn’t stop me or change my view on my ultimate goal. And it’s the other “non-scale / non-picture" victories that remind me from where I came (example: being able to cross my legs; sitting in a booth / theater seat; putting on my socks; sitting in a pew without my a$****ting the bench; sitting on a plane with an extender, etc).

There are Doctors out there who can help with this. For ME I don’t mind it – in fact it keeps me focused.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
bubblesrn
on 11/18/10 10:32 pm

I've always been the heavier and heaviest in every aspect of my life.  In school I was always teasted and riddiculed.  I ballooned to 333 pounds and accepted it.  I mean, my favorite store was always Lane Bryant.  I accepted that I had to pay a ridiculous amount of extra money for a t-shirt etc.  But hey, they carried size 24/26 things that fit me.  I made the clothes that I had "work" for me.   After losing the weight, I would always get kind complements and such on how "great" I look.  When I look in the mirror, I still see myself at 300+ pounds.  Although my overall well being, energy, and health are much improved, I don't see myself any different.  I see the scale at a very incredible weight, 160 pounds, but I still can't get the idea in my head that I am that weight.  I still walk into Lane Bryant and other plus sized clothing stores and the sales people are always like "what is she doing in here?"  But it's my comfort zone and still getting used to things after 33 months out. 
So anyway, yes, chin up, and hopefully you will get those looks one day from the sales people at Lane Bryant, etc asking why are you here? 

Good luck to you!
Janice

all the weight has been lost post-op..I LOVE MY BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highest weight: 333 pounds (I know I gained after my last "weigh in" in the doctors office so probably it's more like 340 pounds)
current weight: 151 pounds (7/12/11)
I've been at goal (165 pounds) for 6 months now and now on maintence.  I tend to go up and down depending on time of the month and such! 

big_ideas
on 11/18/10 11:33 pm - Randolph, NJ
I think body dysmorphia is a problem for a lot of people, including me.

I look at my before pictures and I honestly don't remember seeing THAT person looking back at me in the mirror. I think when I was SO heavy, I looked at my hair, my eyes, little pieces of the picture. I always picked up the wrong size (back then, too small and had to go up. Now, too big and have to go down.)

I still have no idea what I look like, and when I see pictures I'm always surprised.

But I do so enjoy walking past Lane Bryant, or the plus departments, and in my head I silently stick out my tongue and give them a big Bronx cheer.

The other thing I enjoy is NOT buying something if it isn't fabulous. I used to have to take what I could get, or what I could close, no matter what it looked like or cost, because my options were so limited.

That is a thrill no number on the scale can compare with. You'll get there!

Luvmy3dobermans
on 11/20/10 8:44 am - NJ
You guys all have some really good advice!!  I just have to realize to keep up and know this will have a good out come.  I am so very thankfull for each and everyone of your experiences to know that I am NOT alone and I am NOT the only one who has ever felt like this.  I know that I dont have to settle for anything!
Thank you all very much!!
(deactivated member)
on 12/6/10 11:55 pm - Green Brook, NJ

I would just like to let you know that no matter how down you may feel about yourself at times, there are things about you that make you unique and different and those things will always make you BEAUTIFUL! I am a counselor at Physicians Weight Loss Ctrs NJ and so many of my clients suffer from the same body dismorphia. Its important to realize that the way you see yourself is essential to your success on any weight loss journey. If you only see the negatives you will be less inclined to take steps to take care of yourself. Usually our center is the last stop before someone decides to lose weight through surgery, so we are introduced to a number of stages of depression and distorted views in our clients. It's also important to realize that weight loss is a one step at a time deal. You have to celebrate every good decision you make thats good for your body and understand that 1 lb turns into 5lbs and 5lbs turns into 10lbs etc. It's a step by step journey and you never have to do it alone! If you are interested in more information you may contact me at 732 968 0200. Good Luck and Stay Beautiful!

Luvmy3dobermans
on 12/8/10 7:43 am - NJ
Wow!  You are an Angel!  I will be contacting you from work tomorrow.  You always have excellent advice!!  I look forward to meeting all the wonderful people from this site at support groups and the like!!  Thank you again!!  Holly
Most Active
Recent Topics