Protein Bar for 5K suggestion needed

Tom C.
on 11/13/10 9:46 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
As you may (or may not) know, on Thanksgiving morning I will be running a 5K. I am looking for a possible Protein bar to have before the race. Yes, I know I should have a protein shake - and probably will - but in case I need an "extra" boost - can you recommend any?

I know it should be: no more than 30 grams of protein (20 to 25 ideal); no more than 10 grams of carbs (5 grams ideal) and no more than 250 calories (less than 200 ideal).
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
checkitout
on 11/16/10 8:31 am - Newton, NJ
I like a few..

Balance Bar ~ Carb Well
Think Thin bars
Pure Protein bars
Supreme Protein Carb Conscious bars

The only problem with some (most of the low carb ones) is the sugar alcohols... the think thin ones come in small bars like bites I get them at trader joe's in a box..

Good luck at your 5k in Morristown, I am doing the Turkey Trot in Sparta so I don't have to drive to Morristown on a non weekday.

Thanks,
Stella

big_ideas
on 11/17/10 12:37 pm, edited 11/17/10 12:38 pm - Randolph, NJ
Tom, I'm finding that sports nutrition info for the post-op patient is practically non-existent. There was one website called Infinit that offers to customize shakes and stuff, and they sent me an email saying they were going to help me, then nothing.

I know our needs are different, but here's what I can share.

I do Atkins bars now and then. I try to not eat anything that has more than 10 grams of sugar, and I look for ones that are about 10 calories for every gram of protein. Some of the Atkins fit the bill, others don't. I usually get the Atkins Advantage  Chocolate Chip Granola Bar: 17g protein, 1 gram sugar, 2 g sugar alcohol, 200 calories.

Other bars that have the right proportions aren't easy to find, and I've had some instances of intolerance with some of them.

Supreme Protein is good. Like a candy bar! I try not to make them a habit.

I've been advised to eat peanut butter and some banana or raisins about an hour before the race, and then a protein bar later on. For a longer run, I bought little one ounce packets of unsugared peanut butter (Justin's, I think) that I can carry with me and eat on the course. I think I have an extra, I'll bring it on Turkey Trot day for you. I also have those calcium chews.

Good luck, and let me know if you come up with anything good!

bubblesrn
on 11/17/10 10:55 pm
I believe that Dr. Abkin's office sells some good protein bars.  I was in the ALS office last week and saw some there.  Give them a try?  I usually don't do protein bars and or shakes so I'm not much of a help.  I miss running though.  I bummed my knee during a 10K last spring so I'm slowly easing back into running but it hasn't been easy!  GOOD LUCK to you and hope you kick butt!

Take care!
Janice

all the weight has been lost post-op..I LOVE MY BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highest weight: 333 pounds (I know I gained after my last "weigh in" in the doctors office so probably it's more like 340 pounds)
current weight: 151 pounds (7/12/11)
I've been at goal (165 pounds) for 6 months now and now on maintence.  I tend to go up and down depending on time of the month and such! 

Most Active
Recent Topics