A little nervous about my surgeons office....?

hmm114
on 10/4/10 10:51 am - NJ
 First, let me say "HELLO"! I just found this forum and I'm already in love with it.  I'm "scheduled" for surgery next week on the 13th.  But as each day goes by, I'm getting more and more nervous about who I'm dealing with.  I've heard nothing but great things about Dr.Goyal's office but I feel alittle uneasy.  It seems like they are super busy...maybe to the point of being over booked?..they never return my phone calls.  The only time I get an answer is if I catch someone on the phone.  I'm scheduled to go to my consent meeting on Wednesday.   I just got my surgery date last Friday, by calling the office and saying that I would need to put in for vacation soon....so the insurance coordinator said " ok....how about the 13th?" That's fine, but I just don't feel like they have any clue on what's going on with me.  I haven't had pre-op testing, I wasn't told anything about the 2 weeks prior restrictive "liver diet"....but just came upon it today in my folder of paperwork.  I'm waiting for them to realize that they pulled this date out of thin air and reschedule me. :(

I would love to hear some feedback regarding patients who have dealt with the same office.

Thank you so much in advance,
Holly
Tom C.
on 10/4/10 6:20 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Holly,

I didn't have your Doctor, but HAVE heard great things. However if the office staff has you concerned you need to have a meeting with the Doctor and discuss THIS aspect - because any good Doctor would want to know their "weak link".

Remember, while the surgeon's skills is most important - the follow-up is KEY to the success - and the staff needs to be diligent about your records and you need to have trust in them.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Alice P.
on 10/5/10 6:03 am
I am a patient of Dr Goyal's- you need to call back the office because there is pre op testing required- I had a bunch of stuff done before I was scheduled for surgery but then know I at least had to have updated blood work before surgery.

I was on the 2 week diet but the NUT went over that with me when I met with her.  Also you need to be off NSAIDs and hormones 2 weeks prior to surgery.  You should have a consent class meeting and then an apt with a surgeon to go over any questions you have and actually sign the consent form.

I am almost 8 months post op so haven't had to deal with them much recently but as long as I called on days they were in the office, during office hours, the phone was always answered.  

Unless you bring it  up they may not realize you haven't done what you are suppose to and reschedule you so I would call back and bring up these questions with Maria the nurse.

Robin's job is to book the surgeries and keep the schedule full with insurance approval NOT all the patient pre op details.

HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

hmm114
on 10/5/10 9:06 am - NJ
 Alice..
Thank you.  I was just going to ask about the pre-op testing. I haven't done that yet, and when Robin asked me if that was done when she scheduled me ..she said " oh ok, we will get that done. " But WHEN!? I will call and ask to speak with Maria tomorrow.  I actually have my Consent Class tomorrow evening. What happens there?? I'm scheduled to meet with the surgeon on friday to sign the consent forms.  I already have a major feeling that they are going to reschedule me...it doesn't seem like they know what the other is doing.  Do you go to any support meetings?  I think I would benefit from going after my surgery.  Thanks again for all the info!!

-Holly
karenbarb
on 10/7/10 4:08 am - Roselle, NJ
Revision on 01/18/12

hey there,

i am another patient of dr. goyals..... love love love everyone there... when i first started out with them in 06..... it was so quiet, now its so should i say catching on !!!!! lmao anyway they are great, drs are great, robin is great, and lucy in the office always helps me out...... welcome aboard........ u are in great hands

IT IS A NEVERENDING BATTLE, THAT I WILL NOT LOSE

Alice P.
on 10/7/10 6:41 am
Holly

For some reason today is the 1st I am seeing that you responded to my post, I was never notified and I viewed the board but it didn't show their  being any new posts.

You already went to your consent class so it's too late to answer that question.  How did you make out at the meeting?

I do go to the support groups when I can--I would say I have made more than 1/2 of them since my surgery.  Several have conflicted with events for my kids.  I also go the 1st Saturday support group meetings in Scotch Plains- it is a peer run group and has great attendence and people who are several years out.  I forget what the percent is but going to support groups is linked to long term success.

Dr Goyal has a yahoo email group as well to post questions and answers it's activity level varies but you can sign up on his web page and then post there.
 HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

walter A.
on 10/14/10 11:56 am - lafayette, NJ
whether you need a pre op diet to thin your liver depends on your bmi, I do not  have the issue, so not pre op diet for me, just a bowel prep the nite before, same that you did for your colenoscopy,
  Nsaid, and blood thinners.  depends on why you take them,  if you take them for a high risk condition,  stopping 2wks early could mean your dead b4 you have surgery from stroke.  your surgeon and who ever has you on the meds need to make that decision.  I m well controlled on my cumidin,  perfect number on the scale and may not stop at all, they will have the clotting agent available in the or, if my pt test i the or warents.
 Overlook hospital is the number 1 hospital in the country for treating stroke and brain hemorage. nj flys all their patients there. you will be well cared for in that respect,

Im flying to Omaha for my surgery in 27 more days, because you cant get a ds here, and a better surgeon anywhere, I ve consulted 13 in 7 years.

GypsyNomad
on 10/14/10 1:33 pm
Hi Hmmm -

Any updates on things with your doc?  I admit that I had a couple visits to my doc's office that left me a bit unsettled -- seemed like things weren't completely organized, too much rushing around my staff, etc. -- but then these were also "after 5 p.m." appointments (which I should be more grateful for when ANY doctor provides these, or has office hours on a Saturday!).  

More recently I took an "extended lunch" break and saw my doc in the middle of the day and the office was almost unrecognizable compared to what I had encountered in the evenings.  Perhaps evenings are almost inevitably going to be more hectic as it seems more people come in with family members, office staff is often trying to dash out the door as soon as possible, and perhaps more people are just having "quick" follow-up appointments.

Anyway, just my experience.  Hope things are looking better for you (or you have found a doc that you are happier with).

Most Active
Recent Topics