A one month review

Tom C.
on 9/11/10 11:02 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

As some of you know I have a long term goal for doing a marathon. Will I ever do it? Who knows ?!!? It’s not that important, but what is important is to HAVE A GOAL.

So today I got up and ran 1.5 miles (on a track) in 19.28.28. Little disappointed that my time "dropped" - but then I just checked and figured out it's been only 1 month and 1 day since I got my (_____o_____) off the couch and began to do SOMETHING.

I realized I can't be too worried about the time - it's the distance I need to remember. From couch to 1.5 miles in 1 month - NOT SHABBY .... FOR ME!!

I am not posting this as a self-congratulatory post, but a realization post. I stop and reflected, this new process reminds me of the weight loss journey.

Many of us have a goal of losing XX pounds. Some of us may never hit that number, but that’s not important. HAVING THE GOAL IS!! And maybe never hitting that goal is a GOOD thing – because we will always try to hit it, and, in the meantime, it will keep us focused.

Next comparison: we get frustrated/disappointed when our progress is slower than we feel it should be. We need to stop; reflect and realize where we came from, and where we are now.

And when we look back, we need to celebrate the 1 pound/step improvement than when we first began .. this is definitely PROGRESS!!

So for all of you who are a little disappointed about your current progress – stop and realize where you were BEFORE and where you are TODAY and be PROUD of the PROGRESS you have accomplished!!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
big_ideas
on 9/12/10 7:50 am - Randolph, NJ
Tom, I am so proud of you.

They used a phrase in WW that I always liked: "Strive for progress, not perfection." 

Its great to have goals, but be realistic, and break them down into smaller milestones. Keep looking back and see how far you've come. Your life is a miracle!

I was running in Horseshoe this week and I just thought to myself: "Look at me! I'm really doing this! Who ever would have thought it?"

Keep up the great work.

If the weather stinks I may see you at PF tomorrow afternoon.

RCassety
on 9/12/10 10:51 am - Lindenwold, NJ
the posting is so true -- stop and reflect -- striving for perfection will have you running in circles -- striving for a goal will always keep you moving forward -- good luck in your marathon a friend of mine started WW and a gym -- lost about 100 lbs -- and runs 5k races -- not to win -- just to participate -- his goal was to participate -- goal accomplished -- now onto the next goal of HOW MANY 5k races
Brendan 2 Years :)
on 9/13/10 12:46 am
Great Job Tom !! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.  I believe Success breeds Success and your definately a Success Story !!  Keep up the great work :)

JenStock1970
on 9/14/10 5:52 am - Bay Shore Of, NJ
 Tom, you're an inspiration as always! 
HW 495/Consult 426/SW 363/Current 182
"If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."-- Clint Eastwood

"Don't compromise yourself.  You are all you've got."-- Janis Joplin

Most Active
Recent Topics