Disappointed but not Discouraged

Tom C.
on 8/26/10 7:45 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

As many here may have read over the recent weeks, I have an ultimate goal of running a marathon. Will I ever do it, who knows – but it’s a goal.

For the last two weeks I’ve been at the gym, on the treadmill, and extremely happy with the progress. Farther then I expected.

Today I went outside and decided to job around a track. Folks state to “really run" you need to do it outside.

Well all I could do was a quarter mile. And I did it in 2 1/2 minute. It was much harder than the treadmill (which I did almost 8 minutes yesterday). It was a major blow. How could this be?!?!?!??!!?

While this setback was disheartening, it has also made me more determine.

This got me thinking, it’s just like Weight Loss Surgery. Many of us expect to be farther along than we are. And what we need to remember is, there is NO TIME LINE. No place does it say we will hit our goal in X amount of time. Only WE put TIME LIMITS on OUR GOALS and we SHOULDN’T.

Remember, this long race. EVENTUALLY we WILL CROSS that finish line. The time we do it is not important. Just crossing the line is the important part.

So in this instance, 5K WATCH OUT. ONE DAY I WILL CONQUER YOU!!!

For Weight Loss goal, ALSO WATCH OUT !! SOME DAY I WILL CONQUER YOU!!

Maybe a little longer than originally thought, but who cares.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
sugarpie
on 8/26/10 11:46 am - Landing, NJ
Don't be discouraged.  You will get there!!  It is not how fast you get there, just that you get there.  Congrats to getting to the gym and working out.

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/10 8:14 pm - Piscataway, NJ
 If I ran a quarter mile, you'd have to call the paramedics...
Then, stand back as they rub the paddles together and shout, "CLEAR!"

I try to stick to the positive side of everything (is my head in the sand?) ... that said ...

Since you ran outside, I guess that means you "really ran" !!!  Of course it was harder, but  now there's a whole bunch of NEW mini goals to consider which will lead to your ultimate goal. This shouldn't be discouraging, it should be enlightening, and it was!!!  

Hang in there and good luck! - Nancy
Brendan 2 Years :)
on 8/29/10 10:53 pm
Tom,

No reason at ALL to be discouraged.  YOU are out there!! YOU are on your way.  Bite off a liitle more every day... Do the extra minute, the extra 1/4 or 1/2 mile.  Just do something extra...  YOU will lift your head up one day and be amazed at how far you've come.  The KEY is to keep doing it. 

Congrats on your Goal and your current Success.  Keep It UP !!!

Brendan

Angelofmusic219
on 9/10/10 8:14 am - Madison, NJ
Hey Tom,

Running outside is a big adjustment! I felt the same way the first time I ran down my street, but it does get better though.  I'm now at a point where I don't like to run on the treadmill at all. It's much tougher to run outside, but it's nice when you actually have changing scenery to look at as you go and a great sense of accomplishment when you go x number of miles and you really have!

You got the right idea though, keep sticking with it! Are you game for the Giralda Farms 5K in November?

~B

Becky M. Coming up on 5 years, still working at it.  

Start: 257  Lowest: 177 Current: 200

Tom C.
on 9/10/10 8:25 am, edited 9/10/10 8:29 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
A.O.M219 () ... Thanks for the info/advice. It means more than you can imagine.

Well here's a little "update" with my "running". On Sunday I actually ran  (non-stop - no rest) 1 mile for the first time in my entire life. Did it in "just over" 12 minutes!! Wednesday I did approximately 1.1 miles in 13.00.75 minutes, and today I did approximately 1.2 miles in 15.20.66 (Hopatcong hills are a killer). I can't believe I AM DOING THIS!!

I am not sure if I will be ready for the 5K by November, but if so maybe I will take you up on the offer. THANKS !!

Quick question/opinion .. my current attitude is "just do the distance - don't worry too much about the time" .. Is this a good idea, or should I really be concerned about the time too?
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active
Recent Topics