FINALLY!

Brielle C.
on 8/16/10 3:43 pm - pine hill, NJ
Well I know I dont come on here often but when I do everyone is alwayss so helpful! I finished all my testing and 6mnth nutritional counseling about a mnth ago so today I had my appt. to see the surgeon an then submit everything to my ins. for approval. WELL i get there to find out my surgeon LEFT an opened his own practice an that another dr. was taking over unless i wanted to follow my surgeon. So of course I just chose to stay with UMDNJ. I meet this other surgeon Dr. Gandsas he tells me that he does things differently and would like me to get an ECG done more blood work and have a consultation to have an IVC filter placed b.c my BMI is 61% so here we go again with more tests! He says if I have everything done by the end of this mnth and results in his office I am looking at a surgery date for SEPT/OCT! :) so even though it is NOT a definate date atleast I know I am almost there! So has anyone had this IVC filter put in ? I watched a video on youtube and let me tell you I am more nervous about this then the actual bypass!! Also I wanted to start getting some protein powders anyone know of any that are reasonable in pricing and taste good?? My nutritionist told me walmart brand chocolate WHEY..well thanks for reading my vent!!!
(deactivated member)
on 8/16/10 11:38 pm - Piscataway, NJ
I don't know anything about an IVC, and hugs to you for the frustrations you're going thru with new doctors and such. Nonetheless, you don't seem like either of these are going to stop you so all I can say is continue to persevere...September/October is right around the corner!!!  

As for protein, it's ultra important. And in the next few months you'll hear everyone tell you theirs is 'the best'. Its an individual thing.  If it helps: I've heard good things about the Walmart brand as well; if you join GNC, you can buy protein powders and if you don't like them, you can return them (find out more at your local GNC 'cause I'm not really sure the details!).

Good luck!!
Life is a Beach
on 8/17/10 6:31 am
Hang in there. This is just a tiny bump in the road. You are almost there to surgery. It's right around the corner. September/October will come one way or another and things (delays) happen for a reason. Go with it and use the time to prepare yourself mentally and physically for a great outcome. I'm not a bypass patient but we're all supportive of each other here...  I like Oh Yeah Chocolate and Vanilla ready-to-drink protein shakes but you'll have to find what you like. Try them and see! Good Luck!
 "I may not be moving fast or gracefully, but at least I'm moving!"            
Tom C.
on 8/17/10 9:50 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Ahhh the Weight Loss Surgery roller-coaster, gotta love it. Just know, in the end it ALL WORKS OUT !!

Like many here, know I am here if you need.

As for Whey, try them now because some taste like sweet sock water. My suggestion, make sure you get one that is COMPLETE WHEY, Low fat (lactose) that has no more than 25 grams of protein; 8 carbs; and 180 calories per serving. Of course your Doctor/Nutritionists may suggest otherwise, so go with that.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Brielle C.
on 8/18/10 11:32 am - pine hill, NJ
Thanks for the reply's!! I will definately start trying them now! GNC sounds like a good idea if I dont like it I can return it!
rbb825
on 8/19/10 4:54 pm - Suffern, NY
I love GNC protein - I get the red containers - it is ProPerformance 100% Whey Protein.  It comes in 1 pound, 2 pound or 5 pound containers.  Start out with 1 pound bags and try a couple of flavors.  They have about 10 different flavors.  You can try them and if you dont' like them return them within 30 days with your receipt.  It is great for trying different flavors.  I love the chocolate and hated the cookies and cream.  I have heard many like the banana.  You can buy a gold card for $15 a year and then you get 20% of your purchases for the first week of each month.  That is when I buy my stuff each month.   I buy anywhere from 5 - 10 pounds per month, depending on the sales they have that  month.  This past month I paid $72 for 10 pounds of chocolate and it will last me 2 months.

I use a scoop and a half of the chocolate protein powder in my no sugar added hot chocolate with a little milk. This gives me 35 grams of protein per mug - 2 times per day and that is 70grams of protein just from my hot chocolate - a nice start.

big_ideas
on 8/20/10 6:07 am - Randolph, NJ
Whatever fighting you have to do to get your surgery, it will all be worthwhile in the end. So hang in there!

I remember asking my doctor about the filter, and he explained why he thought it was unnecessary. I don't remember what he said at the time, but it made sense and I was fine without it.

I don't really use the protein supplements that much anymore, but when I did I was a big fan of Unjury. They have a mild flavor, and you can mix them with extracts or fruit or decaf coffee to change them up a bit. Its easy to grow tired of ones that are stronger or especially sweet. You can get samples from their website (Unjury.com) but keep in mind that your tastes may change post-op, so avoid making a big investment in any one product.

Good luck!

Barbi M.
on 8/21/10 12:28 am - Maplewood, NJ
Hang in there, it's worth the wait.  My  RNY anniversurgery is October 28, and I remember all that waiting being so frustrating especially when you are ready and know this is the best thing you can do for yourself.  Time flys, now that I am post-op by 10 months.  I agree with Linda, your taste will change.  I loved Isopure before my surgery so I purchased a couple of cases, now I hate the aftertaste it leaves, and gave it all away.  I like Profect vials, because I can add them to water and get my fluids in without it being super sugary sweet.  I have the GNC 100% whey but it is thick and sweet so I prefer using it when I want a sweet flavored coffee, or milkshake.  I am not familiar with IVC filters.  Hang in there and soon you will be on the loosers bench with the lot of us.

maryc543
on 8/22/10 4:12 am
Hi SJ,
Here's a hint:  If you're able to, go to a IGT meet up or a suppport group, but ask in advance that people bring a serving of their favorite protein powder for you to try.....   Just in a baggie, nothing fancy....  I did this for a lot of folks, and found some really bad ones I was glad I didn't buy!   Just don't buy too much of the ones you can drink, because a lot of people say their tastes changed after surgery!    Good Luck!     Mary C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

ebonyfigueroa
on 9/6/10 3:14 am
my  bmi was 72   i have afilter get it its a life saver it doesnt hurt ur doc is tan agood r t for u it fights off blood clots muscle milk is the best
yessss i go in with DR. BILOF .....   THANKS DOMINGA   WWW.GARDENSTATEBARIATRICS.COM  MAY GOD BE WITH ME THIS DAY AND ANY OTHER DAY IM SO HAPPY I CRY AS I WRITE THIS YESSSSSS PLS FEE FREE TO SHARE ANY AND EVERYTHING WITH ME
Most Active
Recent Topics