Dr. Alexander Abkin

soblessed
on 8/8/10 7:56 am - NJ
Has anyone used Dr. Abkin from Florham Park (Morris County)?  Just wondering what your experience(s) were? 

Thanks! 
---Tisha
wife to M
mom 2 Z

"Pray, hope and don't worry"---------- Padre Pio
reillye
on 8/8/10 11:43 am
Dr Abkin did my lap band 2 1/2 years ago.  He was fantastic.  HIs office staff and I had issues from time to time, but honestly I have not interacted with them much since my surgery, so I can't really say what they are like now.  He did a great job, I think.  Good luck to you!
soblessed
on 8/8/10 11:59 am - NJ
Glad to hear you had a good experience with Dr. Abkin.  I like him too, although I have also had issues with his office staff.

I was really just wondering.  It's good to have an opinion reinforced or, in the case of a bad experience, to see another side of the picture.

Thanks for responding.

:)
---Tisha
wife to M
mom 2 Z

Tom C.
on 8/8/10 9:00 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

I too used Doctor Abkin, and can't say enough about the man who saved my life. The Doctor's talent and skill goes beyond the operating room. He truly cares for each patient, and will do anything to help them succeed. I’ve know patients of other Doctor’s who rarely have any interaction once the operation is done, but this isn’t Doctor Abkin. However it's up to you to make follow-up appointments.

And anything I say about Doctor Abkin, is echoed for both Doctor Bertha and Doctor Iannace. They are all top notch.

As for the office staff, I have seen many post about it. I know there is a lot of influx, because Advance Laparoscopic Surgeons are trying to get the best people for the best positions. Plus with the insurance companies constantly changing requirements and/or payment methods, this gets very confusing. What was “norm" on Monday has changed come Tuesday, and then the task of informing the staff, and then patients, is a daunting task.  

Have no fear in Doctor's Abkin's ability. He's the leader in the field (and this comes from a man who spent almost 5 years researching)

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
hockeymom8016
on 8/8/10 9:56 pm, edited 8/8/10 9:57 pm - NJ

His partner, Dr. Bertha, did my surgery. I loved him. I had a post op visit with Dr. Abkin and thought he was wonderful as well. I have numerous friends in the medical field and they all said both doctors have a wonderful reputation. I have heard others say that they have had issues with the staff but I have had none. The person submitting the papers to the insurance papers called me at 7 in the evening to go over everything and made sure they had everything they needed. I was approved within 10 days. They were very backed up the date of my first appointment but after having Dr. Bertha perform emergency surgery on me in the middle of the night I now see how that can happen.

knailnhair
on 8/8/10 10:45 pm - Milford, NJ
Dr. Abkin did my Realize Band surgery May 2009. He is the absolute best there is!!! You will not be disappointed at all! He's a no nonsense doctor...tells it like it is but is very caring! Very knowledgeable and very gifted!!! Chose him and you'll be in great hands for life!!!

Kimi
Everything happens for a reason..Just believe...

soblessed
on 8/9/10 12:26 am - NJ
What you all are saying has been my experience, as well.  I researched for two years before comitting to the surgery and I know that the whole practice are top notch. 

I've seen others say that Dr. Abkin is brusque or lacks bedside manner, but I found him refreshingly to the point.  I didn't pay him to hold my hand.  I paid him to perform a technically complex and potentially dangerous operation and to provide me with the lastest known information about it, both pre-op and post op.  This guy knows his stuff.  He has done several thousand surgeries and has been selected as a trainer of other bariatric surgeons in the laprascopic approach. 

Anybody have any complications from the surgery?  I hear he has minimal complications from his surgeries, but this information is word of mouth only.  (Note:  I didn't say NO complications; I said minimal).  I thought I might be developing a stricture, as I was tolerating less food, but he felt it was related to going from semi-solid (easy) foods to full solid (harder) foods.  That's exactly the kind of expertise I pay him for and for which he is so respected.

Glad to hear about everyone's excellent experiences!
---Tisha
wife to M
mom 2 Z

TV2Night
on 8/10/10 1:16 pm - Hackettstown, NJ
I also have had surgery by Dr. Abkin and Dr. Bertha.  Dr. Abkin did my Gastric Bypass 5.5 years ago. I did have strictures after that and knew something was wrong when I was no longer able to keep foods or fluid donw.  My experience with both of them is they are excellent at diagnosing issues.

When you call with a potential problem just listen to what they ask and answer it honestly.  They will make it all better.  Strictures are an easy fix with an Endoscopy and they put in balloon and dialate it back open.

I help their office with some of its work.  It's a huge practice and the docs are working at getting extra people to be able to get our new people trained and get things running smooth again.  So have faith and give them a chance.  I am educating the new front desk people about the surgeries so they can  be more scpecific to what your issues are and who you need to be put in contact with.

Office gets very busy as we have people coming to see the surgeons, patients returning for Nutrition or Physch evaluations, Medically supervised weight loss class, pre op classes and support groups.  Very Very busy place.  I wish you all much success.... it's been an awesome journey for me!

Pat
soblessed
on 8/10/10 10:38 pm - NJ
Sounds great, Pat :)
---Tisha
wife to M
mom 2 Z

shanaduck
on 8/11/10 5:39 am - Lopatcong, NJ
 Dr. Bertha did my surgery and I have nothing but wonderful things to say about him, the surgery and the follow-up care.  

I've had my issues with the office staff, but in the 6 months I've been going there SINCE surgery, I've noticed positive changes.  My last visit was uneventful and actually pleasant.  I highly recommend this practice.

Elizabeth
            Surgery Weight  (1/25/10) 265 - Current Weight - 184 1/1/12 - Goal ????
Most Active
Recent Topics