Plateau is killing me

Barbi M.
on 8/2/10 8:58 am - Maplewood, NJ

9 months out with my RNY GP, hit 95lbs loss, and the scale hasn't moved in 4 weeks.  Doing all the "correct" things, except daily exercise (walking 2 or 3x 30 min each).  Just discouraged, and hoping to hear from y'all "oh yea that happened to me and then it moved" 

Barbi

Tom C.
on 8/2/10 9:25 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Stalls are natural part of weight loss. It seems the body “catches on" to what we have been doing, and holds onto everything. After a while, the lost restarts and things go well.

However, stalls can also because by eating (a) too much (b) not enough. I know it sounds a little contradictory, and I will try to explain.

Too much: While we need to make sure we hit our protein requirements (60-80 grams, or whatever your Doctor told you), we need to make sure the carbs, calories, etc are “acceptable". Remember, you don’t want to make your 80 grams of protein by eating 4 gallons of ice cream or a starchy carb.

Not enough: Again, make sure you are meeting your daily protein requirements. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO WEIGHT LOSS. The body is a marvelous machine, and it will protect itself. If one doesn’t eat enough, the body’s metabolism will slow down - in order to keep itself functioning. If a person intake is less then what it expels, the body will start to “store" food.

How many times were you NOT able to lose that amount of weight???? Or when you did, you gained it back?? If you lost weight, and haven’t gained it back, then aren’t you really winning?!?!?

Remember, this isn’t a race. “Slow and steady wins the race".  We are a generation of instantaneous results, however remember we didn’t put all the weight on at once, it took years. So don’t you think losing it would take just as long? This isn't one of those miracle instantaneous weight loss programs. We all know types of programs always fail. This is a way of life

Nowhere does any of the literate state you will lose x amount of weight in x days. Think LONG TERM. If it takes you 2 – 3 -5 years to lose all the weight, WHO CARES!!! How long did it take you to put all those pounds on? Try to remind yourself that even if I lost only 1 pound per week, in year’s time I’d be 52 pounds lighter. Many doctors believe the slower you lose weight, the better chance you have of keeping it off. 

Many folks are hung up on the number. It’s not the number of pounds that someone loses in a specified period of time that is important. It’s how you feel. Don’t forget, if you are toning up muscle – your weight loss may seem to have slowed (or stopped), when in fact you are replacing fat with muscle. Muscle is heavier then fat. Someone weighting 200 pounds with a body fat percentage of 25 is carrying around 50 pounds of extra fat. That same person weighting 200 pounds with 10 percent body fat would be carrying 20 pounds of fat. So it’s not the number that is important.

The amount of weight lost is affected by many factors. Everyone loses weight at different rates. It has to do with age, gender, one’s weight, exercise, etc.. A 10 pound lost to one person could be as affected as a 40 pound lost to another. Think of it this way: If a 400-pound person loses 40 pounds; a 300-pound person loses 30 pounds, a 200-pound person loses 20 pounds, and a 100-pound person loses 10 pounds – the 400-pound person didn’t necessarily lose more weight than the others. All three lost 10% of their body weight. 

Also there are other “scales" you can use to monitor your success: your constant hunger reduction (eliminated); reduced clothing size; increase energy; re-familiarizing yourself to body-parts unseen for years (errr… toes) ; “common" activity becoming easier (walking, climbing steps), just feeling good about yourself; sleeping better (reduced snoring); the mirror; better medical exam results (lower cholesterol and/or blood pressure); etc.

Be proud of your lost. No matter how small it may seem. Remember, it’s better to lose not a pound than to GAIN a ounce.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Barbi M.
on 8/2/10 9:40 am - Maplewood, NJ
Thank you Tom, I hope to meet you tomorrow in person.

Tom C.
on 8/2/10 9:14 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Me too
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
big_ideas
on 8/3/10 9:59 pm - Randolph, NJ
Barbi:

As we discussed last night, it might be worthwhile to try changing the composition of your caloric intake, i.e. boost your protein and cut back on carbs, replace fruit with veggies, etc. It might just shake things up enough to get you going again.

Tom has given you excellent wisdom. Sometimes the hardest thing about plateaus is staying mentally strong and not giving in to the frustration and disappointment. So it may help to experiment with the things you can control (ie. changing your diet, ramping up exercise) and reaching a certain level of peace and acceptance about the things you cannot control. (I know, giving that advice is easy, but following it? Not so much!)

I also think Tom is wise to suggest savoring all the NSVs (non-scale victories) and focus on all the joys of your accomplishment thus far. It will help you to relieve the stress you feel. You've achieved many amazing goals to get to this day, and to become who you are right now. Delight in that, and don't lose heart!

Most Active
Recent Topics