GBP after LP

AnnePrince
on 7/24/10 3:54 am - Bloomfield, NJ
Hello - I am looking for some input from others who have had lap band surgery but are considering or have switched to GBP.  I had my surgery in Sept of 2008 and did well for a few months (high of 275 - got to 240) and then had a series of events that got me off track (was in the hopital for 11 days with bi-lateral pnemonia and was put on massive dosages of steroids which had me practically eating the wallpaper off the walls and then caring for my very ill father, etc).

I went for 1-2 fills but always found that I could seem to eat more or was never totally full.  I had no problem with my surgery or doctor (Karl Strom), and am embaressed that I haven't been back or contacted him but now I found myself at a new all time high of 300 and am seriously considering either a mini or gastric bypass.

We initially agreed on the lap band thinking it would be a more slower, consistent weight loss but for whatever the reasons are, it just did not/is not working for me. 

My questions are - has anyone had the lap band and made the switch to GBP - I am trying to find real information/statistics on the reversal and stories (both good and bad) of people who made the switch.

I would apprciate any and all comments.

Thanks!
Anne Prince
Bloomfield, NJ
mom2wow
on 7/24/10 12:30 pm
Try posting on the revison or the RNY gastric bypass message boards.  There are many who have failed at the LapBand for a variety of reasons.  Often their profiles are open so that you can read their stories.  You'll likely get several responses good, bad & thought provoking.

In my opinion, you should consider contacting your surgeon to discuss your options.  There are other surgeries also such as the sleeve & duodenal switch.

I decided against the LapBand because it isn't very effective for higher BMI's and I wasn't comfortable with the potential complications such as band erosion, slipping, etc.

You need to educate yourself about your options. For example, would your band be considered a failure? It may very well be (even with your psychosocial stressors).  Some insurance companies require a mechanical failure before they will approve a revision surgery. What other procedures does your doctor offer? Does he do the sleeve gastrectomy, RNY, duodenal switch?  

Good luck in your search.
Smile it makes others wonder what you have been up to.

Most Active
Recent Topics