Changes to Horizon BC/BS Pre-Op Requirements - Anyone Recently Approved??

dawnmarieNJ
on 7/19/10 10:13 am
Just wondering if anyone has submitted for surgery approval since Horizon BC/BS changed their pre-op requirements?  And if so, was there any delay or problems?

I believe the change went into effect about 2 weeks ago.  They no longer require 6 consecutive months' worth of recorded weights from a doctor-supervised weight loss program.  My understanding is that they still want to see proof of a history of obesity and attempts at a weight loss program, but they're not being as stringent about the 6 consecutive months.

I just completed all my pre-op requirements (nutritionist, nutrition class, psych approval, etc.).  Once the surgeon's office gets all the documentation together they will submit for approval.  My surgical coordinator said that typically Horizon notifies them within 5 business days.  However, with the changes in effect she didn't know if they would take longer.

I'm hoping they don't!  My surgery is tentatively scheduled for August 11th!
You can't go back and make a brand new start, but you can start from now and make a brand new end. 

mom2wow
on 7/20/10 3:14 am
I just got off the phone with the coordinator, she confirmed that the new plan applies to my policy. (It changed effective June 19th). So I just need to have a "wrap up" with my surgeon (on Thurs) and she'll submit. So right now I have a tentative date of August 16th.

The coordinator told me that she's not had any issues with approval as long as all the multi-disciplinary team requirements are met.  She's already had a couple of approvals under the new policy and sees no issue with mine.
dawnmarieNJ
on 7/20/10 6:19 am
GREAT - that's good to know!  Thanks!  Good luck with your approval - come back and let me know how it goes.

You can't go back and make a brand new start, but you can start from now and make a brand new end. 

Most Active
Recent Topics