feeling nervous

soblessed
on 6/29/10 7:52 am - NJ
Well, my RNY is set for next week, July 6, and it is starting to become real.  I am NERVOUS!!!!

I thought this over, took more than a year to make the descision, researched it every which way and I really thought I was cool with it, but I am veeerrryyy nervous right now.

Maybe I'm just loopy from the sedation for the EGD, but any words of comfort from those of you who have had the RNY and are on the "other side" of this nervousness would be soooo appreciated :)

Tisha
wife to Mike
mom 2 Zachy

"Pray, hope and don't worry"-------Padre Pio
HopefulRider
on 6/29/10 10:42 am - Mickleton, NJ
Tisha - I was a little nervous when I got the actual date and started to count down the days - but I kept telling myself that it was normal and just busied myself with preparing to go for surgery. The actual morning of I wasn't nervous AT ALL - I had one little brief thought of running out of the clinic when changing from my street clothes into my gown, but  just laughed it away. I am not 2 months post op, feel great, have lost over 40 pounds and wish with all my heart I had done this 10 years ago. But - no regrets. You will be fine, just keep reading and doing what you are supposed to do - the time does pass so quickly.
Cindy
"Sure you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. But if catching flies is a priority, nothing beats a dead possum." American Cowboy Magazine

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/10 12:00 pm - Piscataway, NJ
 Hi Tisha! Yeah, getting nervous and anxious is fairly 'normal'....most everyone would agree.
You'll be nervous about the surgery itself. To that, I can only tell you to be at peace with your decision and go into your surgery in a peaceful state.   You're probably also nervous about the future, after you're home and recuperating. Hopefully you've read up or discussed with the office what you need to be prepared.  Some people have experienced what they call "buyers remorse" where they wonder "WHAT HAVE I DONE TO MYSELF??"  Most people say this is fleeting, and, wouldn't change a thing. Lastly, some people experience a 'mourning' period...where they might miss the food and the quantities they were accustomed to.  There's lots to think about...it'll make you crazy! Just hang in there, and before you know it, your new life will begin!! Good luck, let us know how you're doing! - Nancy
Chopper1
on 6/29/10 7:34 pm
 Hi Tisha,

Be assured that this is going to be one of the best decisions you will ever make. The uncomfortableness goes away very quickly and you forget because you are doped up.  It is not so bad so be more excited than happy.  Everyone experiences the same emotions as you are.

You are going to do terrific and you are going to be so happy.

Geoff

Chopper1
on 6/29/10 7:36 pm
 Tisha,

One other piece of advice.  The PA forum on here is so much more active than NJ.  I would check that out.

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/10 9:38 pm - Piscataway, NJ
 Chopper! Ack!  Don't be telling the NJ folks to go over to the PA board! Thats SCANDALOUS! j/k
Seriously...doing my part to liven up the joint and get the conversation flowing. My theory is that New Jerseyans would rather meet and talk in person than live on forums.  Thats just the way we roll! 

Chopper1
on 6/30/10 9:40 pm
 That's a great theory, not sure I buy it though.

:-)

soblessed
on 6/29/10 10:31 pm - NJ
Thanks guys!

It helps ever so much to have people tell me again what I already know; otherwise I wouldn't have made this decision, right?

One of the things that impressed me very much initially was how many people said they would do it all over again, even after some pretty serious complications.  I researched this decision inside and out and I've prepared for it ,so I just need to keep my head on straight!  :)

Oh, and thanks for the PA recommendation; I grew up in PA and did my undergrad and grad work there, so I'm comfortable with PA  :)

Bless you guys!

:)

Tisha
wife to Mike
mom 2 Zachy

"Pray, hope and don't worry"-----------------Padre Pio
Most Active
Recent Topics