Morris / Sussex / Warren County Support Group - Proposal

Tom C.
on 5/25/10 9:44 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Gang,

A few months ago I stated I would like to do an "unaffiliated" support group for those of us out in "cow country" :D. It would be open to anyone who had bariatric surgery, or those just thinking about it, and of course those who “need more enlightenment" to our life.

Of course LIFE got in the way, and I had to put this on the back burner. Since many of my "hindrances" involved work, and now it seems work has calmed down, I would like to re-examine the prospect of starting one (two).

I would like to know how many of you would be interested in doing this? I would like to know what "area" of Sussex/Warren/western Morris would be convenient? I was thinking of having one in the "Budd Lake/Hackettstown" area, and another more upper Sussex (kind of near Sussex County Community College). Finally, could you suggest some meeting places?

So far I have noticed Applebees and IHOP in Hackettstown, and a diner or two near SCCC - however would these places be perceived as a burdensome for folks? I also thought of maybe nearby libraries, religious halls, etc. So any suggestion/help would be greatly appreciated.

Remember this will be a TEAM effort, so I want to hear from you all.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Nannette
on 5/25/10 11:10 pm - Toms River, NJ
Tom - two things -- first, you may want to contact the area hospitals, as I did.  They often have conference rooms that they are willing to 'book' for support groups, etc.

Second, could you please remove the OCWLS Lakewood group from your NJ Support Group listing that you kindly share with others -- we have disbanded only the Lakewood group for lack of attendance but the Toms River group is going strong!

Thanks
Hugs,
Nannette

Nannette
Lap RNY 6/16/03
Revise to DS 8/15/11

big_ideas
on 5/26/10 11:10 am - Randolph, NJ
Randolph library sometimes makes their space available, also there's a VFW post and a few firehouses...

Just saying ;)

I'm kidding you. I would do a Budd Lake group for sure. Hackettstown I would not drive to in the winter if the weather is the least bit threatening, but I'd try to make it in warmer months.

checkitout
on 5/26/10 12:45 pm - Newton, NJ
Hi Tom,

There is an Applebees in Newton about a few blocks away from the SCCC, I also think one of the fire houses in Newton might be a good space. I can ask the chief (he is a buddy of my hubbie) if we could use some space if you want??

Let me know if you would like me to inquire about space, I live in Newton so it would be no trouble to check some places out.

Stella
jovigirl
on 5/26/10 1:36 pm - washington, NJ
I live in Washington Hackettstown would be awesome for me 

MeLinda 
 Goal is 165 or thigh high boots whichever comes first

Considering_It
on 5/26/10 9:53 pm
I will definately attend - especially in Sussex County....seems like nothing is ever close or convenient for me!  I would be hesitant though to discuss my own issues and experience in a restaurant though....especially in my own backyard.  Perhaps a support group in a neutral place like the hospital w/ the opportunity to go for coffee after?
sugarpie
on 5/27/10 10:18 am - Landing, NJ
I lIve in Landing and would love to have a group.  I agree that Applebee's etc may not be the location to discuss personal issues, but will think of locations.

Thanks

Laura Rosario
on 5/30/10 2:40 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
i definetly think the diner/restaurant setting would be a bit hard for us to talk openly. depending on how busy they are and how loud the establishment is. also i dont know about anyone else but my finances are tight right now and id be less likley to go knowing id have to purchase something. i think a library conference room would be a good idea.  hackettstown is a bit far for me to go for a meeting especially in the winter but id go as far as budd lake.  Even here in Mt.Arlington there is a civics center you could talk to the town about a long term renting deal see if they would work with you. i dont think it is used much during the week. what about since the weather is nice meeting at a local park? Roxbury has Horseshoe lake, there is a pavilion around the back of the lake away from the playground where they hold the carnival every year. there is also the state park in Hopatcong. just a few thoughts :)

hockeymom8016
on 5/30/10 5:47 am - NJ
While I understand fully the objections to meeting at a restaurant, we have been having gatherings at various restaurants for over a year now without any issues. Just saying.

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/10 7:45 am - NJ
I second that.  No big deal :)
Most Active
Recent Topics