Multivitamin

NJLisa
on 3/31/10 11:42 am

confession --- i haven't taken one since surgery last week.  I'm terrified that it will get stuck.  I even bought the kind that you mix with your water but they tasted terrible and I only had a few sips and realized that it made my water a little "carbonated" and I suffered from the gas pains really bad shortly thereafter.

Today I went out seeking a straight liquid version but couldn't seem to find one.  I bought softgels. When I opened them up they are also huge. 

So...which multi-vitamin do you take and how do you tolerate it?  And, where did you purchase it from?

Thanks everyone for the help you've been this week!

Redhead7977
on 3/31/10 11:48 am - NJ
I take a multi vitamin they are little red pills which are easy to swallow.  They are CVS Brand called Daily Multiple usp you can get 365 pills for $9.99
worth a try
Joann
Joann
Life is a Beach
on 3/31/10 11:57 am
I take the Centrum Chewable version. It's orange and tastes like a creamsicle. I had the same problem you are talking about. I tried a liquid version and hated the taste. Love the Centrum chewable and buy it at Wal-Mart.
 "I may not be moving fast or gracefully, but at least I'm moving!"            
rbb825
on 3/31/10 3:23 pm - Suffern, NY
You can go to CVS and get Centrum  Chewables - either regular or Silver.  I take the silver because they have no iron in them and they do have selenium.  With no iron, you take a separate iron supplement.  This way you can take the Centrum with your calcium.  The silvers also taste better - berry flavored rather than orange.

For your calcium, you need 1500-1800mg of calcium citrate a day divided into 3 daily doses atleast 2 hours apart and not within 2 hours of your iron or thyroid medication.  You can get chewables at Bariatric Advantage.com. They will send you samples if you want but I can tell you the cherry lozenges are delicious and from what I have heard so are the raspberry chewies.

You also need to take sublingual B12 - 1000 mcg daily or B12 injections atleast monthly (depending on your levels)

Iron - carbonyl or heme are the best.

NJLisa
on 4/1/10 12:19 am
thank for all of the details...I'm defiantely heading to CVS on my way home from work today!

As far as B12..is that just for RNY or is that band too?
Redhead7977
on 4/1/10 12:59 am - NJ
B-12 is in this multivitamin, I know we need folic acid and B12 because we eat very limited amout of bread and pasta which has the folic acid.  I used to get B12 shots when I was young because after my children were born I was tired alot but also very overweight.
Joann
rbb825
on 4/1/10 12:24 pm - Suffern, NY
You may not need it since you don't malabsorb and you have your entire stomach, so you still have intrinsic factor allowing you to absorb B12 but you can ask your surgeon or NUT to be sure.  I know RNY, DS and sleeve all need B12.

Life is a Beach
on 4/1/10 6:13 am
I also take 1000 B-12 sublingual in addition to the multivitamin and the calcium citrate.
 "I may not be moving fast or gracefully, but at least I'm moving!"            
Tom C.
on 4/1/10 6:53 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
I take Caltrate 600-D Plus chewable & Centrum Multi Chewable
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Alice P.
on 4/1/10 9:49 am
I get all my vitamins in chewable form from bariatric eating.com they taste much better to any other chewable I have tried.

Alice
 HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

Most Active
Recent Topics