Portion Size?

NJLisa
on 3/29/10 5:20 am

I'm on day 4 now.  I've moved to what they call the liquid diet with 3 small meals.  For breakfast I had cream of wheat with skim plus (2 oz).  For lunch I had 2 oz. of greek yogurt.  And then protein drink  and water in between.  I've tolerating it fine.

As a baseline how many ounces should I be eating?  I feel like both times I could eat more but I'm afraid that I'm going to get sick.  But I think I'm more hungry than 2 oz.  Any advice?  Thanks.

Redhead7977
on 3/29/10 6:49 am - NJ
I have lapband and was told 4oz at each meal
Joann
NJLisa
on 3/29/10 7:26 am
On March 29, 2010 at 1:49 PM Pacific Time, Redhead7977 wrote:
I have lapband and was told 4oz at each meal
Joann

ok, thanks....maybe I should be eating a little more then. 

checkitout
on 3/29/10 11:32 am - Newton, NJ

Lisa,

What surgery did you have? and how often are you eating?

I think I ate about 2 oz a meal for a few months. Where is your info from your pre-op class? I kept mine handy for about the first 6 or 8 months, so when in doubt I could go back and look at it. If you don't have yours I have mine in a file and can get you a copy of it since we used the same group. I only have the RNY info not the band info..

I will say I still only eat about 4 oz in a meal and I am about a year and a half out.

Good luck,

Stella
NJLisa
on 3/29/10 11:56 am
Hi Stella... i have the band.  I do have the nutritional guide.  It was confusing because the sample menu indicated, for example, that breakfast would/could be 2 oz cream of wheat, 2 oz. of yogurt and I wasn't sure if it meant either/ or (for a total of 4 oz) or just straight 2 oz and ing maybe they were just giving me meal options.

Today I had 3 meals and protein drink in between.  Like I said, i had 2 oz of cream of wheat for breakfast, 2 oz greek yogurt for lunch, and 4 oz of tomato soup for dinner.  Between breakfast and lunch i had a 42g protein supplement.  And then after dinner I had a 20oz protein isopure.

I tolerated it all fine.  I feel maybe a little hungry right now.  Almost like my stomach is going to start growling any minute.  My plan is to just drink water and go to sleep soon! 
rbb825
on 3/29/10 3:48 pm - Suffern, NY
I was RNY but I was told to eat 1-2 ounces every 2 hours - 6-8 times per day. You can't possibly get in enough calories in a day eating only 2 ounces at a time, eating only 3 times per day.  You are getting help in the protein department because your protein shake and the isopure are high in protein but that isn't enough food.  Are you allowed soups and SF jello or pudding besides the 3 meals so you can eat more often?

NJLisa
on 3/30/10 12:20 am
According to the guide they want you to stick to 3 "meals" per day and in between you can have water and isosure/protein. I can eat SF jellow and pudding but it would have to be part of a meal.  Unless I've misunderstood.  Any other banders who can confirm?
checkitout
on 3/30/10 1:35 pm - Newton, NJ
Lisa,

I didn't have a band so I really can't tell you how much you should be eating, sorry...

I would say either call your NUT or send a PM to Tom, he is about the most successful band person I have ever met..

Good luck ! and sorry I could not help.

Stella
Tom C.
on 3/30/10 5:50 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

ADVICE WARNING: TALK TO THE DOCTOR/NUTRITIONIST BEFORE INCREASING YOUR INTAKE

When I first had the operation I noticed if I ate 4 ounces of protein I didn’t feel full - however if I ate 6 ounces I did. I spoke to my Doctor about it. FOR ME he said that those “numbers" are somewhat guidelines. He went on to explain there are some folks who feel full on 2 ounces of protein while some need 6 or 8. He also explained that the calories intake should not be too much of a concern in the beginning. The way he explained it to me was: Prior the operation I may have been taken 3,000 calories per day. After the operation, with the amount of food I was taking in - I may have been taking in 1700 calories. While that’s 500 calories more then the recommended daily allotment - it was actually 1300 calories less then what I normally took in. So not only was I loosing weight, but was also feel full. We need to worry about calories when out weight slows downs/stops or starts going up. Speak to Doctor Abkin or the Nutritionist.

ADVICE WARNING: TALK TO THE DOCTOR/NUTRITIONIST BEFORE INCREASING YOUR INTAKE

Stella, thanks for the kind word.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
NJLisa
on 3/31/10 3:47 am
I'm going to call them this afternoon.

Yesterday I had a very hard time in the afternoon.  I was starving!  I got through it.  For dinner I had b/w 5 and 6 ounces of cream of broccoli.  And I felt lousy afterwards.  Kind of short of breath.  Very bloated.  Very full.  So I overdid it which I'm glad I learned the lesson without vomitting. 

Today I had SF jello for breakfast and greek yogurt for lunch.  I sipped on some isopure all morning and as soon as my 30 minutes is up I'm going to have more protein. 

Calorie wise though, I can't see how I can be taking in a lot at all.

The jello is 80 calories.  Yogurt is 80.  And the soup is 75 calories.  Plus the protein (160 for isopure 110 for the other stuff I use) total of 270.  So that's only 505.

Tom, when you say "after the operation" are you referring to right after the operation (which is where I'm at) or once you've moved past the soft diet into a normal diet.  I'm just concerned because I can't see what else I can eat to get me to 1,200 calories right now given the restrictions of food.
Most Active
Recent Topics