Is it possible to have the RNY and not have any problems

Mosley
on 3/28/10 11:16 am
My surgery is at the end of April.  Of course I am reading everything about the problems people have after surgery.  How many people have this surgery and DONT have problems?  IF you take the vitamins, etc ...is it possible to not have issues with that?  Is it possible to have NO problems at all? 
checkitout
on 3/29/10 11:26 am - Newton, NJ

I would think it would have to be possible,or the surgery would not be able to be done in the US.

Thus far the only problem I have had is trying to keep myself in clothes...LOL...

I am very early out, only a year and a half.

Good luck !

Stella
rbb825
on 3/29/10 4:01 pm - Suffern, NY
Almost everyone has some vitamin deficiencies at some point, but the better you are at taking your vitamins, the less likely you are to get them.  Many of us are deficient in vitamin D before we even start.  I was so low in vitamin D that my Endocrinologist wouldn't let me have the surgery until I got my level up somewhat since she knew it would get worse post op.  I was on massive amounts of vitamin D preop for 2 years and now take massive amounts now and have a great level.  Deficiencies can't be avoided but your surgeon/NUT or PCP must vigilant about running the proper labs and often. Some only get there labs done yearly and that isn't nearly enough. ALot can happen in a year and that is how problems happen. I get mine done every 3 months and sometimes even more often than that.  I had my first labs done at 5 weeks.

Ulcers are also very common but one way to avoid is to not take NSAID. Many feel that they are invinsible and take ibuprofen and wonder why they get ulcers.  Never take them and also take a PPI for the first 6 months to a year to help protect yourself from one. IT helps.

Gallstones are a problem and many need to have there gallbladder out within a year. This can also be avoided by taking a prescription called Actigall for the first year.

As far as vitamins - start out taking the right vitamins.  You need to take a good

multi - centrum make a good chewable and you take it twice a day.

Calcium - you need to take calcium citrate - not carbonate - we can't absorb carbonate. You need to take 1500-1800mg of calcium citrate a day, divided into 3 daily doses atleast 2 hours apart not within 2 hours of your iron or thyroid medication.

Iron - you need a minimum of 18-27mg a day - carbonyl is the best absorbed.

B12 - sublinguals (atleast 1000mcg daily), nasal spray, patch or injections (frequency depends on your level - monthly to start)

Vitamin D- get your level checked preop to see how low you are already and then post here for advise on how much to take.  Normal people need 2000units daily but most of that are severly deficient need 50,000 units of Dry D3 several times per week but you dont' know until you get a baseline.

Mosley
on 3/30/10 1:06 am
My vitamin D levels were extrememly low and I started supplementing on my own.  I wasnt told to do so but I had started reading up on the importance of viamin D.  The last time I was tested my D was up to the low side of normal so I continue to take the 5,000 units daily.  I believe the reading should be anywhere between 100 to 200 (doing that from memory).  I believe my low side of normal was a 40.  Im sure its higher now.  I dont see people talking much about their ferritin levels on here.  I also know this is important.  I am  not anemic but my ferritin levels were also on the low side.  I have been losing my hair slowly over the years especially in the front.  When I got the ferritin IV (hemalogist recommended it prior to surgery) MY HAIR HAS BEEN COMING BACK.  I am really happy about that and sad that it may all fall out again after surgery.  Oh well.
rbb825
on 3/30/10 12:10 pm - Suffern, NY
Vitamin D should be between 80 and 100, 200 would be toxic.  If you have a level of 40, you need to take much more than 5000units daily.  That is basically 35,000 units weekly.  I would suggest you get 50,000 units of dry D3 from vitalady.com and take it 2 times per week. This will help bring up your level nicely.  What you are taking will keep you in the 40 or 50 range which is too low.

As far as your low ferritin, I suggest you post on the main board - Andrea U is an expert on this much better than I am.

Chopper1
on 3/29/10 8:36 pm
Hi, I had trouble very early out right after surgery.  Some unusual complications, but that was done with in the first two weeks.  After that small hurdle, I have not any troubles at all.

I am enjoying the ride.

Geoff 

Mosley
on 3/29/10 10:33 pm
Thanks for all the replies and with all the information on supplements.  Can I ask (if its not too personal) what the early on problems were for those who had problems early on?  And how were they fixed?
big_ideas
on 3/30/10 12:03 am - Randolph, NJ
HI Mosley, me again!

You have to do your research, of course, and ask as many questions as you can.  You have to get to a place where you feel comfortable and prepared for post-op life.

I am over two years out, and so far, no problems.

It has been my experience, however, that people come to the boards and to support groups for a variety of reasons. Often those reasons have to do with struggles and issues with which they need help and advice. I know for myself, I stopped going to support groups regularly because I wasn't facing the same kinds of problems people seemed to be there to address, and it wasn't that relevant to me. One of the reasons I love the NJIGT dinners is because its not a support group, but rather a social gathering where most people are happy about their choice, and anxious to share a bit of that enthusiasm with those considering surgery or who are early out.

My point is that people on boards and in groups may not be fully representative of the whole picture. I'm sure there are many, many post-op patients living healthy, problem-free lives who never seek the support of the WLS community. It can seem sometimes that EVERYONE has problems, because that's what you hear about.

So while it is important to know what can go wrong, and what you can do to reduce your rrisks, don't let it make you panic.

Mosley
on 3/30/10 12:50 am
Wow.  I never wouldve thought to look at it that way.  That point of view is very helpful.  I guess it seemed to me that EVERYONE was having problems of some sort and it didnt really occur to me that perhaps there were also many people who dont have issues other than of course having to watch the vitamin levels very closely.  So thank you for that.  What exactly is an NJIGT dinner?
DJ
on 3/30/10 6:28 am - Parsippany, NJ
I am in agreement with Big_Ideas.. and I will expand on the issue that most people who are happy and not having any issue.. don't post and don't attend meetings either..
Dr's only want there really happy patients at their support groups to sell the procedure to the new patients.. but I digress..
I believe Vitamin defficiencies are inevitable as I find it impossible to stay on top of them all .. and some people have even over medicated on supplements so there is no happy medium.
I live a relative healthy life and consider myself complication free - I have the vitamin deficiencies that i struggle with but that is it..
Make an eductated decision for yourself is all anyone should ever tell you..
Good luck on your journey.
Donna
Most Active
Recent Topics