Surgery is done - all is well

ramone
on 3/21/10 3:33 am
I had my surgery on Mar 16th and all is well.  I had Dr. Wasser and he did a great job as far as I can tell.   , I feel surprizingly well.  Not a lot of pain. 

Before surgery I was afraid that I would be very sick with post-op nausea and with post-op pain.  I was very worried because I had a prescription snafu of sorts before surgery.  But in the end, the prescription problem was resolved just like Tina at the doctor's office said it would be. I have a negative reaction to codine and codine derivatives and had to request a change in the original prescription.  I had pre-op fears and some over-reaction to not getting the prescription before the day of surgery.  The prescripton was called in on the day of surgery and was waiting for me when I got home. So  my fears were unfounded.

Now my focus is on trying to figure out how to get all that protein into this tiny little stomach :-)

I'm allergic to Whey and milk products so I have to start looking for alternatives.  Any suggestions are welcome.  I'm on "full liquids" for 2 weeks. What do other people eat when they are on full liquids?

Janice

Tom C.
on 3/21/10 4:18 am, edited 3/21/10 4:26 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Janice,

Offically welcome to the Loser's Bench in our Winner's Circle. Glad to see things are going well with you !!

As for what to have .. ADVICE WARNING: TALK TO THE DOCTOR BEFORE INCREASING / CHANGING YOUR INTAKE

CLEAR LIQUID STAGE – for first 48 hours – or directed by your Surgeon

Water/Ice chips

Low-Fat broth

Sugar-free gelatin

Sugar-free powder drink mix (ex Crystal Light)

Clear fruit juices (no sugar added) and diluted 1/2 with water (ex Apple/Grape juice)

Non-carbonated/sugar free flavored waters

Unsweetened decaffeinated ****) tea

Sugar-Free Popsicles

Clear Protein drink

ADVICE WARNING: TALK TO THE DOCTOR BEFORE INCREASING /CHANGING YOUR INTAKE

FULL LIQUID STAGE – After day 3 or 4 and for two weeks – or directed by your Surgeon

Protein shake – less than 30 grams of protein and 10 carbs per serving.

Skim (Plus) Milk

Low-fat STRAINED cream soup made with Skim (Plus) Milk

Non-fat/no sugar ADDED Light smooth yogurt (remember yogurt will have sugar because it’s dairy).

Sugar-free/Fat-free pudding (make with Skim Milk)

Natural/No Sugar added smooth apple sauce (no chunks)

Thinned hot cereals that can pass through a funnel (ex. Oatmeal; Farina; Cream of Wheat)

Whipped low-fat cottage cheese.

In the beginning don’t be too concerned/worry about “calories, fats, sugars, carbs, etc" (unless instructed to do so). Make sure you are getting your 60 to 80 grams of protein. PROTEIN IS IMPORTANT TO WEIGHT LOSS. In the future you can worry about all those other things, but for now - WORRY ABOUT THE PROTEIN. Now don’t get me wrong - I don’t want you to eat a bag of chips, or whole cake or drink tons of ice cream shakes in order to get protein in. You need to use some common sense :) !!

Just make sure you're following all the rules: drinking 64 ounces of non-carbonate caffeine-free liquid; 60 to 80 grams of protein; no drinking during/30 minutes before/after meals; etc.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Alice P.
on 3/21/10 4:30 am
My full liquid diet was: sf jello, sf pudding, yogurt, broth, sf popsicles, and protein shakesSorry I know this isn't much help to you with whey/milk allergies but this is what my NUT guidelines were.

Alice

HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

ebonyfigueroa
on 3/21/10 8:08 am
 greatt for u 
jedi3884
on 3/22/10 12:22 pm
Janice, I am glad to hear all went well with surgery and is going well in your recovery thus far.  I am two weeks away from my surgery.  I started my two week 1200 calorie a day diet which was advised by my NUT and doctor.  Things are off to a good start with the diet 2 weeks will be over before I know it.  I imagine the best person to ask as far as the whey issues would be your NUT.  But maybe they have something like ensure that has enough protein out there.  I imagine you are not the first person this has happened to.  So hopefully they can get you on the right track quickly enough.

Keep up the great work and look forward to seeing updates on your success.

James 

ramone
on 3/23/10 10:30 am
Thanks, James.  Best of luck with your surgery.  My surgeon was great.  I am amazed at the way I feel.  I'ma little  sore but that's about it.  I am one week out from surgery. 

Janice
Debba
on 3/24/10 5:32 am - West Deptford, NJ
Revision on 05/19/09 with
Hi Janice,

So glad things went well for you!  I've been a patient of Dr. Wasser's for over 3 years now and I have complete trust in him (he's operated on me 4 times!!).  He did my lapband in Oct 2006, removed my gallbladder in Oct 2007, removed my band - fixed my hiatal hernia - then did revision to RNY in May 2009, and this past January he repaired a ventral hernia.  Plus, Tina is the best!!

Don't stress over trying to get all that protein in your new tiny tummy - it just isn't going to happen too quickly.  You had major surgery, so let your body do it's healing thing and try to get in what protein you can.  Full liquids is anything with the consistency that you can get through a straw.  With allergies to whey and milk products you may have to dig a little deeper, though.  I did strained cream soups, yogurt drinks (Bare Naked makes a great protein drink)... it's just for 2 weeks - once you get to the mushy stage it'll be better.  Mashed potatoes will look soooo good!!!

The pain isn't so bad, right?  It's tolerable.  Do your breathing exercises and walk around as much as possible.  You'll be up to snuff in no time.  Only a lot lighter!!

Hope to see you at the next meeting.

Debbie Joy

ebonyfigueroa
on 3/31/10 1:30 pm
 ya for u
Most Active
Recent Topics