Looking back, would have have the surgery?

Jersey917
on 3/16/10 10:26 am - Saddle Brook, NJ
Just curious... If you had to do it again, would you?... I honestly don't think I would... Yeah, I lost weight, initially, but then gained a bunch back... Plus I completely lost that sensation of being "full" and I find myself hungry constantly... I may not be able to eat the portion size I used to, but if I don'****ch, I find myself eating tons of small meals all day long... I WANT THE SENSATION OF BEING FULL AGAIN...

I now have acid reflux, which I never had before either... I should've went with the stupid diets instead of this surgery... I would've lost slower, but then I wouldn't have this flap of a stomach either!... Insurance won't pay because it's not "big enough"... Just how big is big on a stomach that looks like an apron?...

Just venting... I just wish I either never had it, or went with the lap band that could've been removed...
StaceyNJ
on 3/16/10 11:01 am - Brick, NJ
Without a doubt I would have done it again...its not perfect every day..but Im in a much better place now than I ever have been!

checkitout
on 3/16/10 12:01 pm - Newton, NJ
Yes, I absolutely would do it again ! I wish I did it sooner...
(deactivated member)
on 3/16/10 12:20 pm - NJ
Having had the lap band and having it removed gave me the chance to have the RNY, which I am grateful for every day.  My only regret was NOT going with RNY to start with.

The reflux was absolutely brutal with the band, and I still have it, but not nearly as bad as it was with the band.

Granted I am only just about a year out, I do find that I get full literally from less than 10 bites.  Maybe it's because I had the band and am sensitive to that feeling.

And lastly, are you sticking to the rules - protein first, everything else last?  Dense protein stays for a while in the pouch.  No drinking while eating (OK, I am guilty of this), but since I stay full for a couple hours at a clip, I am happy. 

I hope you can get back on track again!
Sheri A.
on 3/16/10 12:33 pm
I am sorry i didn't have rny sooner and glad i got rny over lapband. i still get full and because i am active and exercise alot i eat basically all day but make good food choices. i don't eat sugar or fat or high carb foods. this is a lifestyle change and i made the decision to follow the rules. if you watch the biggest loser you will see that everyone gets flab no matter which diet they are on. i have flab on the abs that i would get rid of but i am too chicken to do it. there are financing plans available. you can try the teaching hospitals - they will do surgery at very reduced rates, new plastic surgeons working under the older experienced doctors. i think 98% of people who have had wls would do it again in a heartbeat.
maryc543
on 3/16/10 1:11 pm
I was super morbidly obese, and it affected every area of my life...  I had trouble walking distances, fitting in movie seats, flying long distances in those tiny plane seats, finding nice clothes, etc.....   I am glad I lost so much weight....and seem to be keeping it off.  I never did hit a 'normal' body weight, but I lost 260 pounds...and thats the best it got....  I would do it again....  Mary C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

big_ideas
on 3/16/10 1:59 pm - Randolph, NJ
I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm two years out, down 134 lbs, and I have my life back. I was a fat zombie, and no diet ever worked for me, no matter how disciplined I was or how hard I tried. (and I tried them all!)

I decided I would have the surgery, and either I would survive and lose the weight or I would die, because going on the way I was wasn't an option. I look at pictures now and I feel terrible guilt and sadness for the suffering I caused my family, and for all the life I missed out on. I can't ever get that back, and I count my blessings that they loved me through it all.

I'd much rather be a size 8 and flabby (trust me I could put a plastic surgeon's kids through college and buy him a summer home with what I need done!) than a size 28. I can wear long sleeves, but I can't hide 100 plus extra pounds.

I ain't never going back. And if someone told me I'd have to have surgery every year for the rest of my life to maintain the loss, I would do it. I can't go back to that prison.

I watch what I eat very carefully, and certain foods are just not part of my diet. I eat for fuel and nutrients, not for entertainment or anesthetizing painful emotions.

I'm sorry you are disappointed in your experience. If I were in your shoes, I'd consult a doctor and/or nutritionist to see what steps I could take that would help me get the results I desire.

Tom C.
on 3/16/10 7:35 pm, edited 3/16/10 10:48 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Losing close to 185 pound within two years; off all my meds; regained my life; hanging with old and new friends; meeting my love  – FUC…… eeerrr…. HEL…..hmmmmm…. HECK YEAH !! Again, I am two years out, not sure where I will be in another 7 years, but for now I couldn’t imagine life without it (in fact I probably wouldn’t be around).

Jersey917 have you been seeing your Doctor regularly during your journey? Maybe you need to see if the “rose" procedure may be beneficial for you? I’ve also heard of some folks getting a band ontop of their RNY.

Have you gone to a Nutritionist? Maybe you need to reevaluate what you’re eating. Remember Proteins will keep you fuller longer than carbs and/or sugars

Have you seen a Psych Doctor? They can help you realize what is causing you to turn towards food.

How about support groups? I know they keep me on the straight and narrows

How often do you come to the boards? Again, I use this tool daily to keep me going and motivated.

No need to throw in the towel at this point. You’ve been successful before, and you can continue to be successful. You just have to believe it.

Using a military analogy: In my “past life" I would see a weight gain as a ‘defeat’, and decide that since I already ‘lost this battle" I might as well “lose the war"; admit defeat, and eat uncontrollably. Now days, I realize I haven’t “lost the battle", but I had a “minor skirmish setback". I regroup, with help of the troops (folks on the board and/or support groups) – get the weapons (doctors/nutritionists/support groups) and/or artillery (eating the correct foods) I need and go and try to conqueror my foe. I also stop and realize I have won more battles then lost, and I see victory on the horizon.

You’ve stumbled, you fell. Now you have to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and continue back down the road. YOU CAN DO IT. You just need help.  It maybe medical; it maybe psychological; it may be physical; it maybe motivational. There are folks out there who can help you.

Just remember, I (or others) can be there to help you down that road – and having other around make the journey less scary.

Good luck !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
hockeymom8016
on 3/16/10 10:58 pm - NJ
I would do it again in a flash. Best thing I ever did for myself. Any extra skin I have is worth it to feel as great as I do. I know I never would have lost this much weight on a traditional diet.

knailnhair
on 3/16/10 11:29 pm - Milford, NJ
Would do it in a heartbeat, wish I had done it sooner. Having the band, I know when enough is enough. I stay fuller so much longer. Not everyday is roses and butterflies, but damn I'm down 49 pounds and 27 inches, they're never coming back!!!

Listen to Tom, he made some VERY valid points....you only get out what you put in!!! Tough some days, I know from experience...but I love my new life and my BAND!!!!

Kimi
Everything happens for a reason..Just believe...

Most Active
Recent Topics