Help--Office won't give me prescription before surgery

ramone
on 3/13/10 3:56 am
Help.  My doctor gave me a prescription for pain killers but my pharmacist called and told me they had codine in them.  It's in  my records at the pharmacy that codine makes me deathly ill (not a true allergy I'm told) I just retch my guts up when I take it.  I never filled the prescription.

I had a meeting with the bariatric nurse at Lourdes and she told me I should get the correct prescription filled before surgery.  She called the surgeons office for me and she told me I could go there the next day and pick it up.  Just to confirm I called the contact person at the surgeon's office who told me not to come in the next day just call and remind her in the morning.

I called the next morning (3 times) but I only left one voicemail in the morning.  I wasn't able to contact her till the afternoon to discuss this.  She told me doctor was gone and that I was supposed to call her in the morning.  I explained to her that I did. 

She told me to call her the next morning.  I did.  She told me that the doctor would give me a prescription for Roxicet when I was at the hospital. I called my pharmacist and he said he might need up to three business days to fill some prescriptions which could leave me waiting at home for days with no help.   I'm planning on driving down there (45 minutes from my home) on Monday but if the doctor isn't there I'm screwed. 

Any ideas?

Janice

walter A.
on 3/13/10 10:20 am, edited 3/13/10 10:20 am - lafayette, NJ
tell your pharmacist thats unacceptable and that he will need to find the med for you.  Hes not the only drug pusher in town.  i needed lovenox post op one time, the pharmacy didnt have it on hand, they had 6 hours to find it , they did and delivered it to my door,  shoprite  pharmacy,     
ramone
on 3/13/10 11:03 pm
Thanks.  My surgery is Mar 16th so I'm starting to get a little stressed out.  I just wish to take care of as many details ahead of time so I don't have to work this out when I'm post-op and not feeling well.
   You suggestion is a good one and it how I will proceed if the doctors office doesn't help me on Monday. 

Janice
CHYNALYZ
on 3/14/10 6:42 am
I would call, CVS, RiteAid, target and so foth and see i they have it in stock and go to the place which does...

HW 250/SW 249/CW 147/GW 140

ramone
on 3/14/10 8:15 am
ramone
on 3/14/10 8:22 am, edited 3/21/10 3:40 am
Thanks for your reply. I'm dropping my disability papers off tomorrow morning and I'll try again.

I can't call ahead because I don't know what drug will be prescribed.. I said roxicet but that's not what I meant. Roxicet is percacette. That make very sick. I have to ask for something without codene that is not percacette.

I know I could send someone else to my pharmacist, but I don't know how willing a new pharmacy would be to to trust a person who is not known to them who comes in with my prescription for a controlled substance and with my insurance information if I'm not there.

Surgery is Mar 16th and I was hoping to have one less worry on that day.

Janice
Debba
on 3/15/10 6:07 am - West Deptford, NJ
Revision on 05/19/09 with
Janice,

Are you speaking with Tina at the office?  If not, ask for her.  I'm sure she will help you.  What procedure are you having?  I had lapband done by Dr. Wasser in Oct 2006, then in May 2009 he removed the band, fixed my hiatal hernia and did a revision to RNY all in one fell swoop.  Both times I filled my prescription for the pain meds ahead of time and never used them at all... never even opened the boxes.  Extra strength tylenol was enough for me and my RNY was done open, to boot!  So, don't get too stressed out - you might be able to manage with the extra strength tylenol... at least until you get what you need.   P.S.   It comes in liquid form - easy to swallow after surgery.

Good luck to you!!
 Debbie

ramone
on 3/15/10 6:29 am
Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your response.  I spoke to Tina and she assures me that Dr. Wasser can give me something when I'm in the hospital and that a friend or family memeber can drop it off to be filled while I'm in the hospital.  I just have to trust that it will all work out.  I was getting very scared and frustrated.  

Surgery is tomorrow.  I have a hiatal hernia and I'm getting the rny.  My asthma is acting up today which is also not great.

Right now I am on clear liquids and I am feeling  weak. After 2 weeks on protein shakes alone I'm pretty listless and hungry.  I still have errands to run but can't quite pull it together.

Thanks for the pep talk.  I needed it.
maryc543
on 3/15/10 1:09 pm
You could have the doctors office phone it in, and bring the written script with you when you pick it up when it's at the pharmacy....  might save you some running.   Mary C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

ramone
on 3/15/10 2:42 pm
Great idea! 
thanks.
Most Active
Recent Topics