OT - Champions against child hunger. Easy way to help and it doesn't cost you a thing.

Renfairewench
on 3/9/10 9:56 pm
Several years ago my friend Diane started a little non profit organization called The Queens Galley.It was a small soup kitchen in which she would hold classes and teach men and woman how to make nutritional meals using whatever they had on hand. It started when a friend was near the end of the month and had only a few dollars in foodstamps left and had to feed four children with very little in her pantry. Diane went to her friends house and peeked in her cabinets, fridge and refrigerator and suggested that she make *this* meal. It expanded from there. The universe put Diane to test in her own home when money was so tight that she barely could feed her own family (3 kids) but her knowledge pulled her through. Diane became commited to not only feeding the hungry, but to making sure and certain that no child in Hudson County NY ever went hungry. The Queens Galley expanded and now it serves 9000 resturant styled meals every month. It's never closed. She is open 365 days a year. She never asks for proof of poverty either. She feels like if you were courageous enough to come in for a meal that you deserved to be fed.

The Con Agra Foods Corporation is running a campaign called Champions Against Child Hunger and out of thousands of submissions has selected 5 people who do something good for their community. For every vote received the persons organization gets $1.00. Diane finally took the top spot yesterday. I would love to see her win!  I am asking each person *****ads this to go to the link below and vote for Diane Reeder. It takes more than food to run her organization, which is staffed entirely by volunteers. Though Diane runs it, she doesn't pull a salary from it either. In the summer she works at a fresh food market and then runs the Queens Galley in the off hours  I wish you could meet her because she really is a wonderfully committed and giving person to the depths of her soul. 

Here is the link. You can vote once a day per computer.
http://www.championsagainstchildhunger.org/vote.html

Thanks so much.
Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Most Active
Recent Topics