Extra skin issues in younger folks?

jade1145
on 2/23/10 8:58 pm
 i will express my vain worry of this surgery.
I'm only 22 and Dr. JB said I should have nothing to worry about but Is my skin sag really going to be that bad? He said I should have no worries because it's mostly in my hips and thighs and the fact that i'm young will be even better for my skins elasticity.
I knew a girl a few years older than me and her breasts literally hung past her belly button after she lost weight. She also didn't eat or take her vitamins/supplements properly either, not to mention her complete lack of exercise and overindulgence in alcohol.

So for people around my age range, is it really that bad ?

And if so, how much does it cost for the skin removal surgery?
Tom C.
on 2/24/10 12:02 am, edited 2/24/10 12:29 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Jade .. I am MUCH older than you, but here is my 2 cents ..

When it comes to loose skin, my philosophy is you can always hide the skin - you can't hide FAT. With that said, skin sag depends on various variables: your age; how long you've been overweight; the type of operation you have; how active you are; and (most important) genetics.

Since you're 22, you should "bounce back". Removal surgery can be costly - but here is a suggestion a Doctor said and it sounds plausible .. Figure out how much you NOW spend in food weekly. Then after the operation, figure out how much you spend. Take the difference and BANK IT !! Wait about 2 - 4 years (because it take up to 4 years before you can actually be "successful" - again depends on the operation) and once you know you're been maintaining and have control over this addiction - THEN get the operation with all the money you saved !!

I hope this helps

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
jade1145
on 2/24/10 6:41 am, edited 2/24/10 7:24 am
I don't want to have to hide ANYTHING. No skin, No fat. I don't try to hide my fat now as is. So how am I supposed to wear all the things I want or expect any man to look at my body and think it's hot if i have all that extra skin?

This is the only thing that's really holding me back with this surgery.

It may sound bad and that I'm doing this for all the wrong reasons but this has just been nagging me. I'm not sure if you understand but this girls skin was terribly bad. She was so sad about it and I just couldn't deal with that after going through all that surgery.
(deactivated member)
on 2/24/10 11:42 am - NJ
OK girl - here's a bit of reality for you, maybe a bit harsh, but you need to hear it.  First of all, you need to do the exact opposite of what your friend did.  You cannot drink to excess and not take your vitamins.  Period.  IF you think that you can't comply to these rules FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, then perhaps you need to rethink WLS; it is for life.

Your first priority should be to get healthy, period - looking good is an added bonus.  How much weight do you need to lose?  How long have you been a big girl?  I have lost just about 100 pounds - I have a tiny bit of loose skin on my belly (and I had a baby already) and my thighs could use some tightening, but I am going to wait and see what my body does in the 18 months AFTER I hit goal (which is another 10 pounds).  As of today, I am in no rush for plastics.  And I am 38.

If your skin issues become too much for you to handle, you can start saving now for plastics.  

If loose skin is your biggest concern about WLS, then perhaps you are not ready for WLS.

Take it one step at a time, yanno?
Alice P.
on 2/25/10 9:24 am
I am too early out to personally know about sagging skin, but I was told by my surgeon that there was NO WAY to predict who would have sagging skin and who would not or the extent of it.
 HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

cbarrantes2
on 2/25/10 1:48 pm
hi jade

I was 24 when I had my surgery with Dr. Ballantyne from Hackensack University and never had any complications and healed great and fast.  It now has been 5 years and I would do it again in a heart beat.

Sorry to tell you but your skin will sag especially in the tummy area and the breast!  My arms are not that bad and a little weight lifting helps a little.  Like the previous person said you can hide it.  I have not had any surgeries to remove the skin hanging because I wanted to wait till I had children.  From my surgery I lost a little more than 100 lbs and it is a life commitment.  You must take your vitamins and everything else that the dr tell you.  Also, do your research because there are risk that are life threathing.

I had my first baby last year and almost died of a bowel obstruction and had to have my baby delivered a month earlier.  Three months later had another bowel obstruction but this time around not as severe.  This all happened last year and my health is better except for a little anxiety which is ok...lol.  I do think that if you have high blood pressure and other health issues you should defenitely consider it.  After all I went through I would do it again and highly recommend it!  Any questions I can help feel free to email me at [email protected]
Most Active
Recent Topics