LapBand

willlose
on 2/22/10 10:09 am
Finally decided on having Lapband. I will have to stop eating sweets forever. Not sure if i can do it but will try my best
(deactivated member)
on 2/22/10 10:30 am - NJ
Not trying to sound harsh, but why do you have to stop eating sweets forever?!?!  That kind of thinking will surely lead to disappointing results.  You will be able to eat sweets, just not in the quantity you are used to and not as often.

Thinking you can NEVER eat something again is just setting yourself up for trouble.  I literally cannot eat sweets (bypass, sugar makes me dump), but I have a bite of something if I am really craving it.  I feel satisfied and know that if I have more than that bite, I will regret it.

If ice cream and soft slider sweets are your thing, the lapband may not be for you.
Tom C.
on 2/23/10 5:47 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Willlose - When I was going to have the operation I asked myself what is the food(s) I love most. And if I could never have them again, would I be happy being healthy and happy. MY ANSWER was YES. I realized there is NO FOOD that is more important than MY LIFE !! So if I could never eat what I loved again, I could care less. I've eaten more Italian food then most of Italy itself, so if I couldn't I was happy with what I did eat.

Now with ALL THAT SAID ... A good band will permit you to eat ANYTHING you ate before, but in smaller amounts. But you need to know YOU and you need to know (learn) what your trigger foods are. If sweets are going to make you eat the wrong things, I would suggest staying away from them. But if you can control yourself, and have them once in a while (like every 4 - 6 months), then a little sweet won't hurt.

For me - I didn't try sweets or "cheated" until I was over a year out. I just knew FOR ME, I needed to be more disciplined. This past Christmas showed me that I, while I have discipline, I need a bit more. I gained 13 pounds, but (THANK GOD) I have lost them - but I did beat myself up over it.

Ok .. I think I got sidetracked, and this isn't about me .. I hope this answered your question and/or calmed your concerns.

And Jen - love the new picture. Very Cute.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
3grlsmom
on 2/23/10 6:58 am
 I still eat sweets.  I still have chocolate and ice cream.  Cookies and cakes and cheese doodles.  These foods are NO PROBLEM with a band.  They wont make you sick like with RNY.... They dont get stuck. MODERATION.........
Karen in NJ 

(deactivated member)
on 2/23/10 7:12 am - NJ
miamouse
on 2/23/10 7:09 am - Morristown, NJ
All weight loss surgeries have their pros and cons.  For all, during the losing phase it is important to stick to the program as much as possible.  During maintenance moderation is the key and for some it works well, and for others...not so much.  Good luck
Most Active
Recent Topics