lapband---rny

willlose
on 2/20/10 1:09 am
recommendation lap -band v rny.only need to lose 85lbs or so that i gained over last 10yrs
Redhead7977
on 2/20/10 6:54 am - NJ
My doctor recommended lap band for me also, that was almost 3 years ago, I am glad I did.  I was 247lbs 5' tall my first visit to my doctor,  the weight comes off slower with the band but you can always have the band tightened when you need to and it is reverseable. (they would have to kell me to get it back LOL)
It is the best decision I ever made.  I now weigh 174 and my goal is 150. 
I wish you luck and keep us posted on your journey. Remember any question is never a stupid one we all have been there and are willing to help.  This is a great support site.
Joann
Joann
ANewBody1976
on 2/20/10 7:00 am
I did really well with rny. lost 150lbs. Don't think the band is worth considering.My friends reallly struggled with band and wish they had gastr bypass.
rbb825
on 2/20/10 2:00 pm - Suffern, NY
Think long and hard before you have the band.  You lose much slower with the band and you probably wont lose all your weight with the band.  People also have alot of trouble with acid reflux, bands slip and can get eroded over time - causing additional surgery and possibly needing to be removed.  Many people end up having revisions to RNY or DS because they aren't happy with there band, so please look into the other options carefully.  They may be better suited for you. 

I had 100 pounds to lose - considered a lightweight and I lost in by my 1 year mark.  My diabetes is gone, my knee pain is gone (thought I was going to need knee replacement surgery), BP is great, cholesterol is great and GERD is gone.  I had my RNY in Oct. 2008.  I am so glad I did it, only wish I did it sooner.  I was a size 26/28 and now I wear a size 12.

Tom C.
on 2/20/10 8:47 pm, edited 2/20/10 8:48 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

This is a personal decision. While one operation has been successful for one person, it may not be for another. No one can choose for you. You need to know yourself.

Only you know you, and you know your eating habits. If your a sweet eater and can't control yourself, the bypass is probably the best choice. If you're a large volume eater, and don't care about sweets - then the band is probably a good choice. 

Remember, either operation is only a tool. This isn't a cure all. You need to work at it. You need to change your eating habits. It will take some self-discipline and self-control. They put the tool around your stomach, not around your brain.

For me, I had the Realize band. I have lost 185+ pounds in two years (150 within the first year). I have passed many "goals" along the way, but haven't got to the ultimate goal. My PERSONAL ULTIMATE goal is 220. My next "magic" goal is 233 - so I move from obese to "overweight". I'm 250 now, and happy. If I never lose another pound I would still be happy because I hit many goals - especially being able to wear a size 38 jean. But I am still working towards that magic goal. Even if it take 3 more years, it's something to work towards

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active
Recent Topics