Vitamin Cost Analysis

maryc543
on 2/14/10 1:33 pm
Nope, the calcium is the regular Kirkland, where 2 = 500mg.  I take 3, so =750mg.  "Normies" can absorb on average, 500mg at a time, but I malabsorb, so my Doc and Nut recommend this schedule.  If I could absorb them fully, I wouldn't need to take double the normal dose!   I don't want to double up on the multi's, because I'm 'high' on the A and E's, so I don't want to OD on them.   I am watching the blood values on the minerals, just in case. We draw copper, magnesium, selenium and zinc every 6 months with the 'regular' blood work.    I'm really trying to be pro-active with the blood work, and the vitamins/minerals/supplements.  I see from reading here on OH  how easy it is to get complacent a few years out, and start skipping the blood draws, or not adjusting the vites!  I didn't work this hard to lose weight NOT to have a longer and healthier future!  I appreciate the vitamin/supplement advice I get on here, and the more recent Op's sharing their current NUT's advice.  Thanks all!  Mary

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

rbb825
on 2/14/10 1:55 pm - Suffern, NY
How is your calcium, PTH and vitamin D levels?  Have you discussed taking 750mg at a time with vitalady or Andrea U?  They are pretty set on us only taking 500-600 mg at a time also and that we need to take more a day to make up for the malabsorption, not more a time.    Why should we absorb more at a time than a normal person who has no absorbtion problem?  That just makes no sense to me. 

XOXOXO
on 2/14/10 2:20 pm
rbb825
on 2/14/10 2:27 pm - Suffern, NY
No, alkaline phosphatase is not the same as serum phoshate.  Alkaline phoshatase is a liver function test.  I am glad to hear your calcium and D numbers are midline.  You really want your calcium to be around 9.2 or 9.3 and you want your vitamin D to be around 80.  It is very important to get a PTH level done since that is the test that determines if you are absorbing your calcium and D.  

XOXOXO
on 2/14/10 2:39 pm
rbb825
on 2/15/10 11:00 am - Suffern, NY
Make sure you add PTH also.  That is the most important.  You want that in the 30's or 40's.  If it is in the 50's or higher than that will show that you are not absorbing all your calcium and your D is too low.  As far as E, these are the ranges that I have - Alpah Tocopherol 5.7-19.9 and Beta Gamma Tocopherol < 4.3 .  Vitamin E is more important for you than for me, I had an RNY.  I get it checked once in awhile but you should get it checked regularly.

XOXOXO
on 2/15/10 11:17 pm
maryc543
on 2/15/10 12:51 pm
Vitalady has helped me with my abnormals, and I am very grateful.  I have no personal contact w/ Andrea, but I do read her posts, and have learned a lot about vitamins from them both!  I'm so glad they post.
    My last labs   PTH was 37, D was 38, up from 30 (trending in the right direction), my Calcium was (serum) 9.5,   B1 and B12 still high off the charts, and my K is the lowest normal, so we upped the supplements, and I'm due for bloods again the end of March.  Hopefully, the K and D will be rising, the B's will be a little lower (B12 was 1800!) and all else will be normal!
    OK, my next questions....and I'll prob need to start a new thread, nbut I'm too lazy at the moment....
   Who knows a really good hernia repair surgeon in NJ?  My hernias are growing...  they popped out after open gall bladder surgery last year, and not they're twinging and getting more annoying.  It looks like I may HAVE to do something soon....  but not quite yet.   Who's used someone they liked,  what hospital, why would you recommend them?  Thanks,  Mary

rbb825
on 2/16/10 11:57 am - Suffern, NY
Try Dr. Garth Ballantyne at Hackensack Hospital.  He now does WLS so I am not sure if he still does hernia repairs.  Many years ago he did only Reflux, hernias, gallbladders and colon surgeries before he started doing WLS.

maryc543
on 2/21/10 2:58 pm
Thanks for the name....  i really do have to get these checked and find a surgeon I trust BEFORE there's an emergency!   Thanks,  Mary

Most Active
Recent Topics