Vitamin Cost Analysis

maryc543
on 2/14/10 1:08 am

I thought I'd repost this to the  NJ Board, just as a reminder a bit of preventative vitamins now will save a ton on $$$$ in trying to fix a deficiency later!  (smile)

The new Jenn recently posted about a nurse telling her vitamins were going to be over $300/month..   I knew mine were way less, but hadn"t costed them out in a while, so I decided to dig out receipts, and add it up.  Each set of labs has me tweaking them a bit, but my A,D,E and K are in normal range, my zinc has come way up (and my hair has regrown since last Xmas emergencies), and the persistant anemia is not related to low iron blood levels.

here's the costs!
  Vitamin Cost Analysis
Type                                      Cost per bottle Cost per pill       # per day            Cost per day
Kirkland Ca+ Citrate        10.69/300            .04                          8                               .32                        Costco
Kirkland Daily Multi         14.99/500            .03                          1                               .03                        Costco
Kirkland Vit C/Rosehips 15.99/500            .03                          1                               .03                        Costco
Vit K Vitalady                     13.29/100            .13                          1                               .13                        Vitalady
Vit D Vitalady                     22.55/100            .23                          2                               .46                        Vitalady
Iron                                        9.49/200               .05                          1                               .05                        CVS
Zinc                                        4.99/100               .05                          2                               .10                        CVS
B12/B6/Folic acid              7.99/100               .08                          every other         .04                        TraderJoes
Probiotics                            19.99/250            .10                          2                               .20                        Whole Foods
Total per day: $1.36                        Total per month: $42.16

Note: I didn’t add in shipping costs for Vitalady, but I didn’t minus the 2 for 1 deals at CVS, when I stock up. Also, Costco members get coupons for their brand vitamins, for a few dollars off each bottle, so I stock up then, but didn’t include the discounts in the calculations.

OK, I'm a bargain hunter, but $42.16/month seems like a deal!   Has anyone else costed theirs out?   Is there a chance someone could be spending near $300/month?      Mary C

(edited because the formatting didn't stay in line)

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

teddyballgame
on 2/14/10 2:46 am
 Thanks for the vitamin advice. I met you the other evening at Dr. Bilof's yoga class. I tried to contact the gentleman that you gave me. I haven't heard back from him as of yet. Feel free to contact me on my email address at [email protected]. Thank you for all your help and advice.

Dave Cooper 
maryc543
on 2/14/10 11:45 am
Hey Dave,  It wasn't me you met.  I have NEVER attended a yoga class.  LOL   I could never get ass up off the floor!  But I am glad you liked the cost analysis of vitamins.....  I am curious as to what other people take!   Mary C

XOXOXO
on 2/14/10 12:40 pm
Tom C.
on 2/14/10 9:10 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
** HI-JACKED ** Dave, I have sent you the stuff via my Hotmail and Gmail account. If you still don't get these emails, let me know and I will send it via here (meaning OH message). However there is an email size limit so I may have to send 2 or 3 emails.

Now back to your regular post and replies ;D !!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
teddyballgame
on 2/16/10 3:12 am
 I don't know why I am not getting your emails on my [email protected] or [email protected]. I checked the junk mail files, and they are not there as well. I am in the deciding stage, between the band and the bypass. The only reason I would go for the bypass, is that it seems to cure, or put into complete remission, my Diabetes. That is a pretty seductive change, to a debilitating disease. Minus that, I would much rather get the band. The band is reversible, and can be tightened if needed. The bypass is obviously permanent, which I am really afraid of. I understand from xoxo, that you have had great success with the band. Any advice would be appreciated.

Dave
Tom C.
on 2/16/10 3:51 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
** HIJACK **

Dave,

I sent an email to the sold9483 from my Hotmail and Gmail account, and I also send a 4 part email from here (OH has a limit how much email can be sent) - so you should get it one way or another.

To briefly answer your questions/concerns on this post - bypass has been shown to cure/reduce Diabetes - but it also depends on which type and how long you have had Diabetes. The band could do it - but maybe via a longer period of time (because you'll probably lose slower than a bypass patient - however I lost at the same rate - but that's considered rare).

It is possible to reverse a bypass - if needed. And while the band IS reversible, you need to go in thinking/knowing you will have this for life.

Feel free to PM via here, or my email address ([email protected])

.. Again we resume you back to your normal post ;D !
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Alice P.
on 2/14/10 6:03 am
Thanks, I am pre-op and just ordered my vitamins online in chewable but wondered what they will cost me in the future.

ALice
 HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

maryc543
on 2/14/10 11:48 am
It get s a lot cheaper when you can go back and swallow whole pills again!  I'm pretty far out, so  (boasting)  I can do all 3 of my calcium pills in one gulp!   It took me years to get to this!  I take 8 calcium a day   (2 pills equals 1 serving), so I divide them up 3+3+2=8 pills because they have to be spaced out from my Zinc and Iron....  the vitamin/supplement thing really does get easier the longer you are out and doing it!   Mary C

rbb825
on 2/14/10 1:09 pm - Suffern, NY
You should be taking a multi 2 times per day, not once a day.  You need 200% of daily recommended values and the kirkland vitamins are equivalent to centrum which only have 100%.  You also say you are taking 8 calcium a day but in 3 batches - are these petites, like citrical petites?  I never heard of kirkland making petites.  We can only absorb 600mg at a time and if they are either 250mg or 315mg each, which is all I have seen in Costco, you can only take 2 at a time.  Taking a 3rd is useless.  You would need to take them 4 times a day to absorb the 8 tablets fully.  If you take citrical petites, that is another story and they can be taken the way you listed.

Most Active
Recent Topics