Had my surgery - here's how it went..

Considering_It
on 2/3/10 11:00 pm
Everything went really well.   I got to the hospital at 6:30AM (had to wake up at 5AM to get on the road by 5:30).  Everyone I came in contact with was super nice, very responsive and attentive (aides, nurses, anesthesiologist, surgeon).  I was brought to the O.R. at 8:45AM.  The last thing I remember in the OR was my surgeon  telling me to "think thin thoughts"  (which still makes me smile) as I was put to sleep.  Next thing I know, I'm in recovery.  I was there for about an hour, and then onto the other recovery room where my DH was brought to me.  I  was d/c'd  at 1:00PM the same day  and stopped at the pharmacy to get my prescriptions filled on the way home.   The only issue is something was making me itch...I have had this issue before, so I'm thinking it was the anesthesia.  I never felt sick or in pain, and have had no problem keeping fluids down...also, I am not hungry, which is a big relief.  My mouth was sooooo dry yesterday and this morning from the anesthesia and pain med.

My surgeon injects some kind of long acting local anesthetic around the incisions so you don't feel them.  I have been keeping ice packs  on my belly which has felt good and comforting  I have 4 incisions, and my skin is glued shut - no stitches.  I was very surprised (and pleased) to see that I will have minimal scarring 
 I  have used the pain med on and off, mainly at night.  Moving from a sitting position to standing is uncomfortable - feel like someone used me as a punching bag.  My neck is a little stiff, but it's bearable. My DH and DS have been very attentive and supportive as well, and are running the household while I'm off my feet.  I took 3 short walks outside w/ DH, and walked around the house as well as using the breathing spirometer hourly (including at night).

2/3/10  Got on the scale and have already lost 7.5 lbs!  Best part is that I haven't been hungry, and it has not been torture to stick on the clear liquids.Sugar Free Tropical flavored Popsicles are really good :)  My whole family is enjoying them as well
Figured out what the itching was about - apparently I have some kind of reaction to the tape/glue used to cover the borders of where the surgery was - I know this because the lines are straight, and I have right angles of irritation on the underside of my breasts where something was taped to my skin.
Took a shower a few hours ago too, hoping to wash off anything else that may be causing me to itch!

2/4/10 - Feeling much better - still sore when I change positions but it gets better as soon as I start moving.  Got on the scale, and am down 10 lbs now...not sure how or why this is happening so fast, but I am not complaining!  Off to get dressed now :)
Barbi M.
on 2/4/10 1:02 am - Maplewood, NJ
Congrats and welcome to the loosers bench.  Keep up the good work!

knailnhair
on 2/4/10 3:54 am - Milford, NJ
Thanks for the update!!! So glad you're up walking around and in minimal pain!!! Congrats on the weight loss too!!!

Kimi
Everything happens for a reason..Just believe...

maryc543
on 2/4/10 4:34 am
Hurrah! for you!   Mary C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

allisarin
on 2/4/10 8:54 am - Bayonne, NJ
Glad everything turned out good. I had the same problem with the tape have to use paper tape. Hope to see a smaller you at the next dinner.

Tom C.
on 2/4/10 4:47 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
FANTASTIC NEWS !! KEEP UP .. errr .. DOWN the GREAT WORK !! And thanks for sharing your experience. I know it will enlighten others
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
XOXOXO
on 2/5/10 2:46 pm
Considering_It
on 2/5/10 11:09 pm
I feel even better today, and have lost more weight.  Amazing what a week without calories will do for you. LOL

I am very pleased w/ my surgeon and recovery at this time. :)
Krissy
on 2/6/10 1:32 am - Cranford, NJ
weigh to go!!!  Godspeed on your recovery!! and please keep us posted on your progress!
~Krissy

shanaduck
on 2/8/10 3:25 am - Lopatcong, NJ

Hi!

It took me a while to get back here after surgery, but I'm so glad that yours went well!  Way to go!

Elizabeth

Surgery Weight  (1/25/10) 265 - Current Weight - 184 1/1/12 - Goal ????
Most Active
Recent Topics