MMC Support Group disapointment (Long)

capeladybug
on 1/29/10 1:22 am - Newtonville, MA
Last night I attended the Monmouth Medical Center support group in Long Branch and I have to have to say I am utterly disappointed. I had my surgery done in MA with a GBS group that is FULL of support and motivation. I attend last night meeting because I still need support now that I moved to NJ. What a sham it was. The meeting was lead by the head physician that all he basically did was talk about himself, how wonderful he was, how he was given trials bc he was so great, that he wrote a paper on this, that and the next thing. He was also bad mouthing other Dr's it was disgraceful.  Then at the end of the meeting I expected to see the medical staff stick around and talk with patients like the group I came from; no chance in h*ll. They were out of there like someone had shouted FIRE! Then come to find out that this was only the second time a Dr has ever been at the meeting. Really made me miss my truly great group. The shrink they had there was quite obnoxious as well. All he did was state the obvious and try to keep control of the group.  

The one positive part of it was that I did meet a few nice people. I am sad I won't get to know them better and see them progress but I will not go back to another meeting there and waste my time again. If anyone knows of an actual worth wile meeting I would love to hear about it. Thanks for letting me rant. I wish I could bring you all to MA with me for a meeting so you could see what a real one was like. When I was researching for my surgeon I went to a lot of groups that turned me off. This is one that I would have gone running from. The other person I feel bad for is the younger Dr. he doesn't seem as pompass as the older one and he is now associated with him.

Thanks!
H/S/C/G  344/324/225/150  6'0"
michelelavell
on 1/29/10 4:06 am - Hamilton, NJ

It's a little further away for you but there is a good group here in Hamilton, NJ. It's at the Robert Wood Johnson Center for Health Wellness (which is actually Mercerville, NJ). It's right off of 295.

They do their meeting every 3rd Thursday of the month. The "like" if you register for it, but if you just show up they won't kick you out! :o)

The practice that runs the meeting is Surgical Associates of Mercer and Monmouth.

They also have a meeting in Freehold at CentraState Fitness & Wellness Center

This is the office info but the Wellness Center is in the same building.
CentraState Medical Center
901 West Main Street
Freehold, NJ 07728
Phone: 732.294.2531

:o)

Michele

Krissy
on 2/1/10 11:06 am - Cranford, NJ
sorry to hear you were dissapointed at your 1st meeting. I have been facilitating my group for over 7 years.. not an easy task.. but I thoroughly enjoy it! If you can make it up to New Brunswick tomorrow night I guarantee you will be happy...in the midst of the fun we do have you will be Validatied ~ Educated ~ Motivated ~ Celebrated ~ Rededicated,  if not I am only a phone call away..and I have family in Brick so if you ever want to get together..just give me a buzz!

in the meantime.. keep your chin up and i hope you can find something else to help you in your journey

keep us posted....{{hugs}}
~Krissy

shel
on 2/15/10 10:08 pm - Howell, NJ
I've been to that group too and was also disappointed, even when their sugeon was not there.  The best group in our area is the OCWLS group that meets in Toms River on the First Friday of the month at Community Medical Center.  Led by Nannette and attended by wonderful people who have been through all stages, mostly post ops.  I would highly recommend this group.

Michele
Most Active
Recent Topics