How long does insurance approval take?

ramone
on 1/20/10 1:17 pm
Hi All,  I have NJ Direct insurance.  My doctor's office faxed all the required documentation to the insurance company today!!!!

Ok now, so how long does the process take for approval?  After approval, how long does it take to get a surgery date?

I'm with South Jersey Bariatrics.   :-)

Janice
JenY718
on 1/21/10 1:57 am - NJ

Depends on what mood the insurance company is in!  Seriously as long as everything is in order I don't think it will take long to hear from your doctor's office.  Usually as soon as they get approval they will call you to schedule surgery.

I had Horizon (now NJ Direct) when I had my surgery over 4 years ago but was initially denied twice because they asked for a 5 year weight history which showed I lost and gained weight over those 5 years.   They said my BMI was not "consistently" over 40!  The doctor's office did a telephone appeal several months later and I was approved on the spot.  I know the requirements are different now than when I had surgery. 

Here's hoping it is a quick and painless process for you!

Jenn Y.

Considering_It
on 1/21/10 5:42 am
Not sure because my file went to the insurance company for approval, and then my insurance provider changed to another company!  I had an advocate hand walk my "case" to the new insurance company so I wouldn't have to redo my 6 month insurance wait again.  It took them four days after my insurance became active to give me the approval.   I had NJ Direct, and then changed to another company.
LesshugeinNJ
on 1/22/10 12:56 am
Once everything was submitted to Aetna, I was approved within 3 days. However, from these boards, it's obvious that that number is widely variable. I didn't have co-morbidities, but was very, very big for years. Some people may be on the line of "acceptable" for purposes of insurance, and I bet it takes them a lot longer.

ramone
on 1/24/10 2:17 am
Thanks to everyone *****plied.  :-)

This process is stressful.
Considering_It
on 1/24/10 2:21 am
It does seem overwhelming when you first get started and decide to go this route, however I can tell you that the 6 months go very quickly  and its' a good opportunity to learn as much as you can.
Tom C.
on 1/26/10 3:36 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Each insurance company is different. I have read some folks didn't get an approval until the day before or OF the operation.

The Doctor you chose, should have the staff that will keep track of that. But I would strongly suggest you also follow-up on this. Maybe wait a week or so, then call and see where it stand. When you call, make sure you log the time you called, the person you spoke to (sometimes they won't give their full name, so ask for a first name or their ID number) and what was said.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
ramone
on 2/3/10 12:14 pm
I'm approved!  Surgery date is March 16!  Wow!  I'm still speechless.
Considering_It
on 2/3/10 8:22 pm
Congrats!  Start getting all the things you will need at home!
ramone
on 2/7/10 10:07 am
 Any suggestions??

Janice
Most Active
Recent Topics